+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Issues using a different manufacturer's prosthesis for second hip resurfacing?  (Read 1910 times)

halfdone

I had a LBHR in May 2006, which has been very successful for me.  I had it done in the UK.  My other hip is at an earlier stage of OA but will need resurfacing in due course. My UK surgeon will be retiring in 2010; I now spend less time overseas; and the number of resurfacing experienced surgeons in the US is growing.  So I am at an early stage of planning who to look to for my next resurfacing, this time focusing on US surgeons. (Going overseas again remains an option. I am very willing to travel as, for some reason, New England seems to have few surgeons with long track records in resurfacing).  US Doctors like, for example, Dr. Gross clearly have the experience and track record that would place them at the top of any list, but he uses the Biomet device. So my question is: are the any potential problems/issues in using a different manufacturer's device for the other hip, or should I limit my consideration to surgeons who use BHR?

(Apologies if this is dealt with in other threads, but I couldn't find them.  Also, it has been some time since I have surfed with the surface hippy community and I would like to thank Patricia Walter for continuing to develop this excellent resource.)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hi Halfdone

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Thanks for your kind words about the website.

I have read a few personal stories about people with different hip devices in each hip.  Some had an ASR and a BHR.  I believe I have read about someone with BHR and Wright C+.   I also know several with BHR and THR.   So there are people with different kinds of devices in each hip.

I am not a doctor or medically trained, but my best advice is to make sure you use one of the most experinced surgeons to place your next device - then there should be no problem regardless of the manufacturer.  They will make sure your leg length is the same and make sure there are no other problems.

Doctor experince is more important than the device.  We have a number of surgeons using the BHR who are now becoming very expiernced.  Dr. Su of NY, Dr. Brooks of OH, Dr. Clarke of NY, Dr. Rogerson of WI, Dr. Mont of MD are just a few.  Check out my list of the most expeirnced surgeons.  Some surgeons use several different devices - so you can ask for what you want.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

I guess it sounds more like common sense to have both hip devices the same, but I don't think it really makes a great deal of difference based on what I have read.  This is a very important question to ask of the surgeons your are considering.  Let them comment on the pros and cons of using the same device.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

halfdone

Thanks Pat.  And thanks again for your excellent web site!

obxpelican

Both devices should keep the same hip angles and as Pat said USE ONLY AN EXPERIENCED SURGEON.

In the years I've read about hip surgeries I've never seen anyone have problems with mismatched manufacturers.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

dw

I am very willing to travel as, for some reason, New England seems to have few surgeons with long track records in resurfacing).  US Doctors like, for example, Dr. Gross clearly have the experience and track record that would place them at the top of any list, but he uses the Biomet device. So my question is: are the any potential problems/issues in using a different manufacturer's device for the other hip, or should I limit my consideration to surgeons who use BHR?

Newton Wellesly Orthopedics have been doing BHR for awhile now (in Boston), and have a good track record. Of course, if you're willing to travel. the "big names" that are always brought up here are options as well. I know Dartmouth-Hitchcock(NH) is also doing resurfacings. Ask the questions to a prospective surgeon, make the best decision for yourself.

I would imagine that each hip is it's own independent procedure, so as long as it's done correcly, there shouldn't be an issue.

Edit to add: the link at BHR website http://www.birminghamhipresurfacing.com/locatesurgeon/ gives a list of folks that you could research as well.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:39:54 PM by dw »

moe

Personally I wouldn't go with anything but the BHR, it's the gold standard and has the longest and best track record. In New England Dr Robert Marchand at South County Hospital in Wakefield RI (scortho.com) did my bilat BHR the same day. He is experienced and well regarded. I'm almost 6 months and couldn't be happier. I am very active and close to full strength. Good luck!
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

halfdone

Thanks for all the feedback.  I had already noted Drs. Hanmer and Snyder of NWO as surgeons to investigate further. I will add Dr. Marchand to the list.  As I'm not in immediate need, many of the doctors will have accumulated a lot more experience by the time I expect to be ready for the other hip to be done. Based on the trajectory of the other one it is likely to be no earlier than late 2011 and perhaps much later. But who knows and it's best to be ready.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear