+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dying to hit the slopes  (Read 7623 times)

CeeJay15

Dying to hit the slopes
« on: December 30, 2009, 02:14:08 PM »
Hi all -

OK I am 5.5 months post op. Had RBHR on July 15th. I feel GREAT. I have been weight lifting, taking yoga classes, spin classes and a multitude of different cardio machines (no running though, no impact!)

I am DYING to go snowboarding. I live in Western Colorado and it is DUMPING up on Powderhorn right now. My husband and daughter are planning to hit the slopes on New Year's Day.

I don't have my 6 month followup appointment with the doc until January 18th.

Do I go? Do I risk it? Am I healed enough to take a possible fall??? Arrghhh I am so torn.

What does everyone think??

Best to everyone!!

CJ
Carolyn
Right BHR Dr. Rector July 15, 2009

moe

Re: Dying to hit the slopes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »
CJ, I am at the same point as you. Similar workouts. The last time I saw my surgeon at three months HE asked ME if I would ski this winter, he was totally OK with it. A week ago I was mountain biking and hit some ice and crashed hard on my right hip on the very hard surface. I freaked out and lay there for a while trying to figure out if I broke anything. It turns out I wasn't even bruised or hurt at all, amazing. From your activity level it sounds like you are ready, but use caution. At six months they generally turn you loose.

Good Luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

stevel

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »
Hi CJ,

I waited 6 months post-op to ski last March 29, 2009, because that's when my Doctor lifts all restrictions and allows impact activities.  The data indicates a slight chance of a femoral neck fracture occuring before six months, but rarely afterwards.  So I snowshoed in the alpine for a couple of weeks last Spring before skiing.  I didn't push it when I skiied last Spring as it was near the end of the season.  The Summer and Fall went by fast and I've skiied several resorts so far this year (at home - Eaglecrest, Juneau; White Pass, Wash; and Mt. Hood Meadows, Oregon).  The muscles and soft tissue continue to heal and improve up to a year or more.  So check with your Dr. for when he allows impact activities such as downhill skiing, but its wise to be cautious up to 1 year post-op. 
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:17:07 AM »
Hi CJ,
 Back in march of this yr I was at my 4 month post op mark and my doc gave me the green light to go snowboarding. He told me if it was icy to be smart and take it easy. I went snowboarding exactly 4 months to the day post op and the conditions were spring snow so it was mostly soft. All morning I pretty much cruised but at 11:30 I couldn't take it anymore so I cut loose and everything felt really good. I really pushed myself the rest of that afternoon without any problems. So my answer to your question is yes go especially if it is pow. Just kinda cruise for awhile until you think everything is good. Good luck and do a couple of turns for me.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

CeeJay15

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:52:03 PM »
Thanks everybody! I love this site - thanks again Pat!!!!
Well, my hubby went today without me. I have my 6 month post op appt. in two weeks. I figure I can wait until then. Went to see Avatar in 3D instead - glad I did - it was AWESOME.

cj
Carolyn

JeanM

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »
Hey CJ,
Wow!  I'm amazed that you didn't cave!  I know how hard it is.   I went through the same thing last year.  I waited until exactly 6 months - to the exact day.  But, I took it pretty easy through the rest of the season too.  Everything felt really good.  But because I'm a pretty small woman, I was worried that my risk of a fracture was higher.  So I thought it would be a good idea to remain conservative until I hit a year. 

But, this season I'm tearing it up on my snowboard.  I don't even think about my hip when I'm riding.  I'm riding better than I have in the last few years.  It feels so good!

You only have two weeks to go!  I can't wait to hear how it goes!

It sounds like we should get together for some snowboarding someday in addition to the LRR!

Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

CeeJay15

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
Hey Jeannie -

I just registered for LRRH! Let me know if you will too!

I've been snowboarding twice this winter now. Dr. Rector told me that I now have "two perfect hips" - one naturally and one with a BHR! So I took them for a test drive two weeks ago and it was WONDERFUL!!

cj
Carolyn

JeanM

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

Okay, I'm on it!  I'll get my registration in this weekend!  Last year, I learned my lesson about not registering early.  I won't miss out again!
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

CeeJay15

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 09:36:15 AM »
We will definitely have to get together when we are there!

cj
Carolyn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat