+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Five Weeks Post-Op-Right; 3 days Post-Op Left  (Read 1907 times)

David Wheeler

Five Weeks Post-Op-Right; 3 days Post-Op Left
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:47:14 PM »
I just completed my 2nd BHR hip with Dr. Michael Anderson, Milwaukee. I was 5 weeks on my right and recovery was going very well. At two weeks I carefully switched to one crutch, being careful to walk w/o limp while supporting it. At three weeks I could walk for a couple of hours in the morning walking fairly normally; and by five weeks things felt pretty good; but I could tell there was and will be much strengthening yet to go. In fact it seemed every day was slightly better than the previous. Although I have been very active in racquetball and jogging; I have no intention of playing with the same abandon. I’m happy to take it a little easier with tennis and using other means than jogging to stay in shape. Obviously everyone has different expectations.

As far as I can tell 5 weeks out, I am very satisfied with the direction my progress looks to be headed. But going down again with the second hip, the end result will have to wait a bit. You can’t be stupid with the recovery or you will only set yourself back at best; or something more serious at worse.

I had not “researched” Dr. Anderson as thoroughly as I later learned I should have; but I have no regrets. I have had a very positive experience with him and his staff. I won’t bore you with what I learned of his technique unless you want to know; but he is well respected in this kind of surgery.

A couple of quick thoughts:
1.   I underestimated the “energy” drain in in healing. I was able to go back to work at two weeks; network consulting (so not the most strenuous of jobs) and at two to three weeks I would wake feeling deceptively normal. HOWEVER, if I didn’t respect what my body was telling by the early afternoon; I paid a heavy price…. Talk about crashing! But if I stopped and rested for a couple of hours or the rest of the day… life was much more pleasant. The resting time has lessened but must still be respected (even 5 weeks out).

2.   Read judiciously my comments and those of others; I selectively “listened” for what I wanted to hear. That is not fair to yourself. I think this is a bad mistake. It seems there are far too many variables to overstate another’s experience or make yours normative for others.

-David Wheeler

roosevelt heights

Re: Five Weeks Post-Op-Right; 3 days Post-Op Left
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
I am soon to take your path in February and April, 2010...please continue to update your progress so that I can take into consideration your comments.

PHBookman

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:33:07 PM »
I think you offer some excellent insights. I also wish I had done some additonal research on my doctor, although he did an excellent job, his bedside manner leaves a great deal to be desired. I read the posts selectively as well as was very impatient when it came to spending the required time on the crutches and not driving. Everything went well for me and at 6 weeks things are excellent, but I also understand everyone is different. The more knowledge someone has prior to the surgery the better the rehab. Thanks for your post.

David Wheeler

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:48:44 PM »
Had my 2 week post op visit last Wednesday; and am now 3 weeks on my LBHR and 8 weeks on my RBHR. Being very careful, I have been working since a week out this time (I take care of several client networks); and today is my first full day w/o a crutch (about the same as the first surgery).

I was really concerned that my RBHR would handle the stress of having the LBHR within 5 weeks; but I have to tell you that my RBHR never complained. I can't wait to rebuild the muscle loss in my thighs, though; it is amazing how fast the atrophy occurs. But I know it will be another week before walking with the LBHR becomes strong enough to be close to normal. Then I hope to come up with a workout in the Y pool. I'm going to be very careful in the early going.

I spoke with Dr. Anderson about the cementless femoral component; my procedure was cemented. He clearly says that after 10 years or so depending on my activity that it/they will probably fail due to micro fractures in the cement bond (not something I wanted to hear); but also that it would be 10 years before the uncemented procedure will be in use in the US.
I assume because the testing is only 2 years out.  However, the article by Dr. Gross seems to think otherwise. It does seem to follow that if the acetabular is not cemented to induce bone growth; that the stemmed femoral component would also benefit as well. If so, a little late for me.

However perhaps in 10+ years when the failures occur, some procedure will be available to "fix" the issue w/o a THA.

So, roosevelt heights, if your experience is anywhere close to mine, I don't think you will regret the bilateral BHR you are looking at. And as far as recommending my surgeon, I am very pleased with him. At least in the Milwaukee region he seems to be the go to guy for BHR; has had no failures to report; is far more conservative than what others around here seem to report (not sure that's a bad thing). So if you have any reservations about a surgeon, I can recommend Dr. Anderson.

One other comment, don't be shy about talking about your options with the anesthesiologist. IMHO, the spinal dura-morp was excellent; pain-free for over 24 hours (minor itching); no loss of strength in your legs; no nausea from IV pain meds, etc. I only used oxycodone after 36 hours.

The recent report here about the fractured femoral neck is sobering. Not that he did one thing to cause the fracture.... but it definitely helps remind me that lots of big stuff went on in me; and a little patience in the recovery will serve us all well.

best of luck with your surgeries,
David

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:26 AM »
Hi David

Thanks so much for posting your story and giving us updates.  The personal stories are so important to people considering hip resurfacing.

I am also glad to hear your right hip is doing well and supporting the left after your surgery.  I do know many people do both at the same time and manage somehow.  It is personal choice as to how to get 2 done.  Sounds like your plan is working well.

I hope your recovery continues to go well for you.  Please stay in touch and let us know how things are going.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz