+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 Days post op, swelling from knee to toes  (Read 7639 times)

sheptr

8 Days post op, swelling from knee to toes
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »
41 years young, 6'3", 300 soft lbs.  I had my left hip resurfaced 8 days ago, December 31,  by Dr. Su at the Hospital for Special Surgery. The surgery went very well according to Dr. Su, hip was worse than expected.  3 nights in the hospital, then home. The Hospital for Special Surgery gets rave reviews, it was my misfortune to be there over the long New Year holiday weekend, when I am sure most hospitals are less than half staffed.  I did have different physical therapists that were all quite confidence inspiring and patient.  I am happy to have been fortunate enough to be a patient of Dr.Su.  Ultimate professional. Overall I feel like I got off easily as far as pain goes, and am so relieved the hip pain has been replaced with the surgical soreness, which should eventually fade away. 

I am walking around in the house, non stop, chasing two toddlers. I have been on the treadmill (level and slow) for a few minutes each day.  Usual bed exercises, and a home PT has me doing abductions, rear kicks, knee raises, and quad extensions, no weight added.

I have some pain in the incision area and the whole left butock is quite sensitive to the touch, and some groin pain intermittently. Taking a percocet 5mg/tylenol 325mg 3 or 4 times a day, upon awakening, before PT, and before bed.

I have been very pleased with the process so far.  Though on Day 7 my foot swelled up, as well as my calf and knee.  It is still swollen now.  My wife had an emergency c-section and her feet blew up with the percocet, so she stopped taking them immediately and feet went back to normal.  My swelling is only the operated side, not both sides.  When I read about hippies icing, are you icing the incision, your thigh/butt, or anywhere that is swollen?  My foot is so puffy and aching. 
Also find it interesting that the area from the incison to maybe halfway down the back of my leg is quite mushy and mallable.  Like a Tempurpedic mattress.  I sit in my rental hip chair, or on the elevated toliet, or any chair, and the back of my thigh molds to the shape of the seat.  Funny to see the hand rails of the big potty seat imprinted for 20-30 minutes on my leg!
Thanks to everyone posting!
Todd

LBHR - 12/31/2009 - Dr. Su

tedroberts

Re: 8 Days post op, swelling from knee to toes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:27:22 PM »
After my bi-lateral resurfacing both my upper legs swelled up like watermelons.   On one leg the swelling then went down to my lower leg and foot, maybe that is what is happening to you.  That swelling went away in a few days.  Hope that is what happens for you.

Ted Roberts, bi-lat BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, Edina, MN
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

sheptr

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I am now 30 days post op and only have minimal swelling in my surgical leg, specifically the thigh and foot.  But not feeling bad at all.  Hoofing 2 miles twice daily with a cane and a slight limp. 
Todd

LBHR, 12/31/09 Dr. Su, HSS NYC
LBHR - 12/31/2009 - Dr. Su

Sandspinner

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
Glad to hear the swelling has gone down.  I'm one week into my new RBHR also done by Dr. Su in NYC.  How long did you wear your ted compression sock?  I have a decent amount of swelling too and have to keep reminding myself to get in the recliner and elevate.  Thanks

2/4/10, Dr. Su, RBHR, HSS nyc
Dr. Su
RBHR 2/10, LBHR 1/14

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat