+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting ready to be a Hippy with Dr. Su!  (Read 2112 times)

Jennifer

Getting ready to be a Hippy with Dr. Su!
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »
Had all my pre-ops on Thursday, getting ready for LHR with Dr. Su next Thursday.  I can't believe how nervous I am, I can't wait until it's done.  I think I'm most worried about the pain... although I've had left hip pain for so many years.  I just hope all goes smoothly.  Reading the stories from other Hippies makes me feel better.  Thanks everyone for posting their progress!  It really helps to see that so many people are doing so great! :)

John11

Re: Getting ready to be a Hippy with Dr. Su!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:43:05 AM »
Hi Jennifer,
I wouldn't worry so much about the pain. The folks at HSS are obsessive about keeping you as comfortable as possible. I was surprised at how quickly I came off the pain meds when I got home.

Best of luck.
John
RBHR 12/3/09
Revision to MOM THR 5/21/10

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »
Hi Jennifer

Most hospitals and surgeons make sure their patients don't have pain.  If their meds are not working, they will quickly change to another type.  Few people report any great amount of pain after surgery.  They really take care of you in the hospital.  Some people have pain after leaving and the best advice is to keep up with your meds if you have pain.  Don't wait until it is unbearable - take your meds and stay on schedule if you feel you need them.

We are all nervous before surgery - some more than others.  I was really excited to get the surgery over and get back to an active, pain free life.  You will soon be there and have a great summer this year.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »
Hi Jennifer,

The hospital leaves the epidural anesthesia tube connected so you can use the pain booster pump as needed during your hospital stay.  I didn't have much pain.  I used about 19 tablets from the prescribed 60 tablets for pain after I was discharged from the hospital.

I wasn't especially nervous since I traveled a long distance to remedy my problem.  This was my first major surgery and I was a bit anxious as they wheeled me down the corridors on the gurney to the operating room.  They lift you off the gurney and prop you on your side for the operation.  All of the assistants were busily arranging the operating instruments and the anesthesiologist installed the tube.  After that it was lights out until a couple hours later it was lights on in PACU (post anesthesia care unit).

Best wishes for your surgery.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

bgiroux

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »
Jennifer,

Don't worry about the pain.  I had my RBHR with Dr. Su September 11th and commented to him the day after about how little pain I now had compared to the previous 3 years.  The epidural catheter won't be removed for a couple of days which allows you to use a pump to self medicate for any pain. The staff at HSS is wonderful and constantly checking with you about any pain you might haveand your progress.

You're in great hands and will do just fine. 

Jennifer

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:15:13 PM »
Well, I am now 2 1/2 days postop, and things are finally moving along. I had a LOT of pain yesterday after the epidural was taken out, so they changed my meds and I'm feeling a lot better.  Only got up to walk earlier this afternoon at 48 hours.  Every time I tried before that, I would faint!  Luckily,the pain is much more tolerable now, and hopefully I can go home on Monday. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat