+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Want to be more active after infection  (Read 1407 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Want to be more active after infection
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
Pat is posting this for Elizabeth

I really appreciate everyone's questions, answers and discussions. I am almost 5 weeks post-op although I had to go back to the hospital after 10 days, following an infection. The same surgeon cleaned out the incision, under general anesthetic again, and I was on IV anti-biotics for several days, followed by 2 weeks of oral antibiotics. The instruction the hospital physios gave me was toe touch weight bearing only for a full six weeks, no stairs and no bending. I have been doing the bed, chair and standing exercises faithfully but am wondering if I should/could be doing more? I am 54 and was quite active before the surgery, although certainly limited by quite intense hip pain. I am anxious to become more mobile. Right now I am using on crutch but till putting no wt. on my operated side...so hard to walk any distance. I'm dying to get outside and breath some fresh air but we have snow and ice on the sidewalks.

Your feedback would be most welcome. Thanks so much Pat and thanks for this wonderful site!! Elizabeth in Nova Scotia
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Want to be more active after infection
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »
Hi Elizabeth

I am sorry to hear about your infection.  Personally, I would be very conservative and only do what your surgeon and PT suggest.  You will have plenty of time to get active after your have healed more. The infections are really bad things and maybe they are keeping you less active because of it.  Having a little patience now will pay off in the future.  Most surgeons always suggest a lot of walking.  Some don't even have patients do PT.  Mine did not.  Do you have any large stores like WalMart or Grocery store where you can walk inside? A lot of people like to use the cart as support and do their walking inside during the winter.

I hope that helps. Stay in touch and Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

medgerton

Re: Want to be more active after infection
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:25:15 AM »
I live in Phoenix, AZ and I have thought about recovering from hip surgery in a cold climate. The ice and snow pack make outside exercise impossible. It is hard enough not slipping and falling with two strong legs.

I am thankful that I live in a place that allows me to walk outside and hike nearby trails in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.

Hang in there. I too had a staff infection that took two cleaning operations and 10 days in the hospital. My surgeon has taken a more aggressive approach (with me anyways). I have very few restrictions.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat