+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Water Therapy  (Read 1775 times)

roosevelt heights

Water Therapy
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »
Can anyone tell me how soon after post op were they able to get into the pool for rehab...

obxpelican

Re: Water Therapy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
This all depends on your doctor.

Some docs allow it not too long after surgery, some will say that the scab must be off of your incision and no broken incision areas and some will ask you to wait X amount of weeks.

You are heading in the right direction, pools are fantastic for rehabbing a hip, just walking in it helps a lot.

I know it's a wishy washy answer, but the best thing to do is check with your doctor.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:25:54 AM »
I was in the water about 5 or 6 weeks post op

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

pashley

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:13:24 AM »
6/52 for me then lots of breast stroke !
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

halfdone

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
I was in a hydrotherapy pool (at the hospital) with a cover on the wound the day after surgery and daily thereafter for my hospital stay.  I was in the pool proper as soon as the wound was closed up and staples were out - about end of week 4 I think. (The docs would have been fine with me in a pool to continue hydrotherapy with a covered wound, but I would have had access to a private pool.) I started just walking in the water (backwards, forwards, sideways) and doing adductor, abductor and other movements against water resistance.  I was swimming gently a week later, but no breaststroke, which it was recommended I should wait to start (I think until after 6 week doc check).  Context: I am a swimmer, so very at home in the pool, and all of this was done in consultation with a PT working within the parameters set by the surgeon.  Essentially, everything was gently progressive as I regained strength and ROM.  I did the water stuff as well as (and part of) the walking and regular exercise rehab.
Hope some of this is helpful.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal