+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Labral tear reattachment help  (Read 3638 times)

klondike

Labral tear reattachment help
« on: January 18, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »
Hi Im a 49 year old male,Ive a labral tear in both hips for approx 14 years due to impingment with mild diplasia,have cysts,have had arthroscopic surgery on one hip with no improvement ,have great cartilage in both hips,after having consulted with Dr Gross,I have a 70% chance of success if I have a bilat this Sept 13,15th with my condition VS 100% if I had normal arthritis.I wish I had arthritis....
Today,I read about "labral refixation/reattachment" on another yahoo website,does anyone know anything about this proceedure and its success rate please?
Dr Gross is brilliant and didnt know of any better avenues for my injury.
I live near Seattle Washington.

Thank you very much in advance.
bruce

dw

Re: Labral tear reattachment help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:42:22 PM »
howdy - who did the scope? You have a very experience re-surfacing surgeon Pritchett (spelling) in Seattle. Anyway - you might want to ask Dr Su or Bryan Kelly at HSS in NYC or Philippon in CO (Vail!). They both have experience in fixing this - Philippon has invented some of the tools used in the scope. I know he will do a consult if you send recent images their way.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »
Hi

I am sorry, but I am not medically trained at all.  I am a generalist that knows how to design and run websites.  I have learned a lot about hip resurfacing along the way in the last 5 years, but I don't really know that much about the specifics of special probelms.  I wish I could give you more input, but I don't have any training to do so.

I certainly would trust Dr. Gross's opinon since he is one of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the US.  If Dr. Gross doesn't feel you surgery will be 100'% - what part of the surgery does he feel will might not work properly. Your Range of Motion, will you not be able to be as active, or is he afraid the surgery just might not work and have to be revised to a THR.  Does he recommend a THR instead of a hip resurfacing?

I am sorry, but I just can't give you any other input.  If I wanted more input, I think I would write to several of the top surgeons like De Smet, Bose, etc and try to get more input.  Their consultations are free.  If you still are not sure, then I would try several of the other top surgeons in the US like Dr. Su, Dr. Mont, etc.  You need to know if they think your surgery might not be sucessful too.  That is the only way I know of getting input that would be significant.  It might be worth having a consultation with several so you have more to base your decision on.  Sometimes the top surgeons don't agree - I have seen De Smet, McMinn and Gross not agree.  2 won't do a resurfacing while another one will. Here is a list with their contact info  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Again, this is very diffiuclt surgery and you need to pick the surgeon you think will be best for you.  You have to feel at ease with your decision - it does not depend on what other people think.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

medgerton

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
Bruce,

Keep us up to date on your progress and the direction you decide to go.  Almost all of us are just the opposite from your condition. That is, we have little or no cartiledge left in the hip joint.  A hip resurfacing seems like a waste of good cartiledge. Good luck in your research.

klondike

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »
Hi,Dr Green at UW(Seattle)sports medicine did the arthroscopic surgery on my right hip.I later saw Dr Pritchett(he did my dads resurface with excellent results at age 75)and being that I dont have arthritis yet he refused(very politely:)to resurface my hips as he is concerned that being that they dont have as much inflamation as an arthritic hip this may cause the femur to die after the resurface.
Now THAT would NOT be a good outcome imo!So,Im researching other opinions etc asap.
So far,Ive found that its impossible to have cysts AND healthy cartilage.
Ive asked Dr Gross questions via email regarding this situation and have a date of Sept 13th and 15th for a bilat.Sadly,weve missed each other when he has phoned me(Im in awe that a very busy Dr would bother to phone me-WOW!).
Im very impressed justifiably with he and everyone on his staff,they are GREAT!!!.
Im working out daily(elliptical and weights) and am curious if I get operated on a monday and wed,what day should I book the flight home to Seattle on???ld stay an extra day and go home maybe Sunday?Is the extra rest worth it on the flight?
Thank you

klondike

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
Thank you very much Pat for the very wise words and advice!
I will send Drs Bose in India and Dr DeSmet in Belgium my latest X-rays and the surgeons report who did my arthroscopic as soon as I get them from Dr Grosses office.
thanks bruce :)

Debbie

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »
I too have mild hip dysplasia, cysts, spurs, and a torn labrum.  It is my understanding that the spurs likely contributed to the tear.  I also was under the impression that cysts adn spurs are a sign of arthritis.

Anyway, I had a resurfacing on that hip 6/5/09 with Dr. Ball in San Diego.  He said that the degree of the dysplasia will help determine whether or not resurfacing is a good idea.  For me, I am progressing well.  I am back to ballet dancing, golfing, and other sports with no pain.  Before surgery, I could hardly walk two blocks without horrible pain in my hip.  I do get a "tight" sensation around my hip when I use it a lot, but it does not hurt.

If this helped you at all, feel free to ask more questions or message me personally for more information.
Debbie

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal