+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Obesity and resurfacing  (Read 5149 times)

econguy

Obesity and resurfacing
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:16:08 PM »
Does anyone have info on body weight or BMI limits for resurfacing prospects? I have dropped 90+ pounds but still obese, cannot walk without cane or walker due to hip pain. Thanks for input.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Obesity and resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:03:27 AM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Have you talked with any of the really experinced hip resurfacing surgeons yet?  Some will do people that are overweight.   I know Dr. De Smet of Belgium will.  It is a question you need to ask of the surgeons.  I would stick with the really experinced surgeons that have done a thousand or more.  They are much more likely to do difficult cases.

It sounds like you have done a great job to lose 90 pounds.  That is a lot of hard work and dedication.  Please keep positive and keep working on getting your hip/s fixed so you can continue to become active again. 

I don't have the exact BMI that are limits, each surgeon looks at each person as an individual case.  Some of the surgeons will give you a free consultation via email if you send them your story and attach your x-rays in a digital format as a .jpg     Dr. De Smet of Belgium, Dr. Bose of India, Dr. Gross of SC, Dr. Mont of MD and Dr. Rogerson of WI are among the few you can email and get a free consultation.  Tell them your situation and I know the will talk with you.  Here is my list for the surgeons contact information http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Please stay in touch and good luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lindalynn

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
What I have heard is that you are at higher risk of failed surgery if your BMI is over 35.  I commend you on losing weight! Great job and motivation. My biggest concern is your problem with walking.  I had back pain and could not walk for more than a few blocks before my surgery.  I was told if I fix my hip I could rehab my back better.  I am a year post op and still trying.  I do have great ROM in my hip but I still cannot walk very long.  I was told before surgery that a THR might be a better option for me as not to complicate the issue.  I would ask my MD about my inability to walk before surgery and make sure he is aware of this before proceeding and see where he stands on your risk.  Good luck.

Neild5

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12:10 AM »
I was not able to walk without the aid of a cane prior to surgery and my BMI is 36.  The surgeon did not hesitate to resurface my hip.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat