+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9 weeks post op left hip resurface awaiting right hip resurface  (Read 2114 times)

saffrons

9 weeks post op left hip resurface awaiting right hip resurface
« on: January 20, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »
Hello I am 43 year old female with bilateral hip arthritis.  I had resurface op on left hip 9 weeks ago.  Very pleased so far pain completely gone and range of movement much better than it has been for years.  However, despite swimming daily and walking as much as possible regularly leg is still fairly weak (probably being naive about how much to expect at this early stage).  As i also have severe arthritis in right hip am still in lot of pain on that side and am finding it difficult to walk far because of the right rather than the new one. My consultant has said right hip completely worn out but has suggested i try and postpone the right hip resurface for 12 months in the hope that it will settle down when my new hip strengthens up and takes more weight.  I am not optimistic as pain is incredible and don't know how long i should leave it before making the decision to bring op date forward.

jackmac32

Re: 9 weeks post op left hip resurface awaiting right hip resurface
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »
Hello,
I had my left hip done on October 1st.   When I was diagnosed 18 months ago, the Dr said my left was bone on bone, but my right was moderate.   At this point, I find my left is now officially doing better than my right.   I thought about doing both at the time, but took the conservative route and hope my right one lasts a few more years.  I have been told once you get one fixed, the other can hang on a bit longer. 
Jack.
Dr Su LBHR
10/01/2009

annie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »
Hi, give it time it can take 2 yrs + to recover fully.
Let your body dictate recovery speed and take it easy.
Rome was not built in day,  You are recovering from a big op.
Don't expect too much straight off, each week, month you will find improvements.
I would also allow at least a yr if possible before having another op.
Walk,  swim + cycle as your body allows. Remember we are amongst the lucky ones to
have the privledge of having the surgery.  Just take each day as it comes.
Annie
LBHR 23-10-08

lizzie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 04:13:53 PM »
I had both resurfaced, the left first in Aug/2009, and the right Nov/2009. My surgeon, Dr Su at HSS, suggested 3 mo between them, which is what I did, pretty much to the day.

The SECOND (right) hip, which was worn down completely but not in such bad shape as the first, has recovered quickly--much more so than the left one, which still doesn't have as much range of motion or strength as the right, although it's (the left, first side) is doing well.

I wanted to get them both out of the way as soon as possible, and I didn't want the second to go past the point of no return (although I don't know exactly how that is defined). I also wanted both in the same year for insurance-related reasons. I've heard (from the surgeon) that the second often goes better than the first--perhaps bc you know the ropes, and bc it wasn't as bad off to begin with as the first one.

I have no regrets about the timing of my surgeries, and I'm glad I didn't do them both at the same time. Don't think I could've dealt with that very well--sleeping issues, etc.
08/21/09 LBHR, Dr. Su; 11/20/09 RBHR, Dr. Su

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal