+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Still experiencing pain after 1 1/2 years  (Read 11936 times)

carlos72056

Still experiencing pain after 1 1/2 years
« on: January 20, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I got my resurfacing done in 2008 and I still have pain around the hip area and it's both dull and sharp. My doctor first thought it was bursitis. But after many follow-up visits, physical theraphy and referring me to another doctor (his mentor) they could not come up with anything. He has pretty much thrown up his hands and I'm left with the pain. I'm thinking of going to another doctor but I thought I would check this site to see if anyone else has experienced this continual pain after a year. Any insight would be great

obxpelican

Re: Still experiencing pain after 1 1/2 years
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
What would you rate your pain at?  If it's in the lower levels 1-4 on a 1-10 scale, some people have seeked out massage therapists to help with scar tissue, sometimes that's all it is.

Does your pain come when you feel a clicking sound?

You need to post more info.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

carlos72056

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
Hi Chuck,
Sorry about the slow response. My pain fluctuates; but constant. It can go high as maybe a "5." There is not a sound from my hip though it did once "squeak" for about a day. The pain comes whether or not I'm doing physical activities. I've had a THR on my other hip and that recovered well (10/99). This has been less then satisfactory and though I'm not near the pain I was prior to the resurfacing it has never fully left. I did try massage therapy and there was no improvement. Don't know what infor you are looking for so I hope this helps. Thanks!

SpudAir

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Carlos:
    Not sure if you're still monitoring this topic; I'm kind of infrequent myself.  I've had the same problem as you, about 14 months post-op.  Doc's out of ideas.  Pain is there almost all the time, but is worst when I drive for any length of time or at nights if I try to sleep in any position other than flat on my back, sometimes with a pillow under the leg.  Comes with transferred pain down in my shin, which is actually what usually wakes me up.  I'm wondering if you had any success with your search for relief.

Debbie

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
If you guys are still monitoring this site, I'd love to hear more.  I had my resurfacing 6/5/09 and I have had some pain and ROM issues ever since.  It still seems to be slowly improving with accupuncture and a new round of visits to a PT, but I am not satisfied.  I have groin pain when I bend over straight from the waist all the way to the floor when I am trying to raise back up.  I have to stop halfway and readjust my hip.  I also cannot raise my leg out to the side as far as I would like to without pain.  My PT thinks it might be the scar having trouble "folding" on itself.  My Dr. saw a little "notching" in the bone past the implant and thought it might be pain from the metal hitting the bone.  I told him that when I am in a very warm yoga room and can work past that "sticky" painful point, it feels OK.  Therefore, it does not feel like it is stopping when it hits the bone.  I really don't know where to go from here.  Any suggestions?  X-rays look great according to dr.

emichel

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 01:48:31 AM »
See, this is the kind of thing that makes me nervous when considering this surgery.  Even though I think these doctors are geniuses for what they are able to do, they certainly don't know everything, and it sure is a gamble.  Even so, I will probably go through with it -- not until January at the soonest, since I need to save more money and sick/vacation time at work, but jeez, I sure wish I could get a 100% guarantee of success.

To all of you who are still suffering, to some extent, all I can say is hang in there!  Even though I haven't even had the surgery yet, I have had great support from an excellent PT, massage therapist, and I don't mind admitting, counseling type therapist to help me deal with my emotions about it all.  I totally believe that with enough determination and "mind over matter", in conjunction of availing ourselves of the best medical care we can get, miracles can truly happen.  I'm rooting for ya!  -- Eileen

Rolls

• RBHR 1/31/2007 Snyder, LBHR 10/25/2011 Marchand
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »
Everytime I go on this site, I find more info I didn't see the previous session.  This is a great topic. 
1. If you have noticed some of my previous posts I had RBHR done in January 2007 with Dr. Snyder.  He did a Ganz and broke my trocanter as part of his procedure.  I always complained of "annoying pain, numbness" in the pin area of my trocanter.  (which was since removed because it was loose day one after surgery).
2. I did all the PT, tried a lot of different sports, jogged, recumbent bike, regular bike, elliptical, stair climber, but I still get the aching in my side, butt, and feels like a tight band around my upper thigh.  Right now I am taking a break from cardio stuff, but it is killing me to do it.  I am still doing weight training and yoga.
3. Like you, I started having problems with my knee (none before surgery), and get a real tendon ache behind the knee during strenuous workouts.  I have a little more balance issues on the RBHR side, as well as side raises, slight clicking sometimes, and driving with my foot on the gas pedal can almost lead to a cramp in the hip.  Lunges and dips can give a pretty sharp pain but nothing prolonged.
You would think someone would have the answer somewhere.  When it hurts more than usual I take 3 x Advil Liquid Gels at a time, and that does some good.  I have been icing it up, with little prolonged relief.  But, after yoga last week, I went home pretty sore, etc; took 3 x Advils, and in the morning it was like REBIRTH.  No pain.  That lasted almost all day long, then gone.  My pain, I would probably label it a 5 most of the time, only because it is a nagging, always there, always on your mind kind of thing.
Hopefully we will all find and share our answers...sooner rather than later.  Keep trying.
RBHR 2007 Snyder NWH,Boston not considered a success.  Still pain 5 yrs post surgery.  Snyder did Ganz procedure. LBHR 2011 Marchand SCH,RI is doing excellent, Marchand did it like it is supposed to be done.

Stuart

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »
I also suffer from constant hip pain in the right hip 18mths after having bhr. Doctors cannot find a reason for it. It is mainly groin pain and in the buttock but has now started in the knee? I have AVN and was told this could travel to other joints which is quite scarey. I am still on strong pain killers but have minimal relief with them due to a high tolerance. I have been using Heat packs then cold pack a couple of hours later which provides some relief.
There doesn't seem to be any sort of help available to us. I have had a BHR in the left hip as well and it has not given me any trouble at all except for sitting on it longer than 30mins brings pain

John C

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 01:52:48 AM »
Hello Stuart,
If you are still having that much pain after 18 months, something is wrong. You might consider the following:
1. Send you x-rays to doctors like Gross, DeSmet, or Bose, who will usually give you a free opinion. Be sure to ask for the cup angle.
2. Have a blood test for metal ions from a qualified facility.
3. Have a soft tissue scan, such as MRI or CT scan.
With these three approaches, you should be able to come up with some answers.
Good luck.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Rolls

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
Hi All,
I got the MRI, did the blood test and sent my xrays to DeSmet and Bose.  MRI was negative, blood ions normal.  Both doctors said the angle slightly off and my femoral neck was slightly notched.  Both recommended that I get "more perfect BHR" next time on my left hip.  The pain feels like impingement I guess.  Recently had orthroscopic surgery on my right knee, about 9 weeks ago, and now my knee hurts more then ever.  Said not much cartilage left.  I feel for all you people out there with pain, especially after hearing about all the successes.  Life just sucks sometimes, but at least we are still breathing.  Having my left hip done with Dr Marchand in RI next Tuesday, lets hope it is "more perfect".  Will keep you posted from time to time.
Rolls
RBHR 2007 Snyder NWH,Boston not considered a success.  Still pain 5 yrs post surgery.  Snyder did Ganz procedure. LBHR 2011 Marchand SCH,RI is doing excellent, Marchand did it like it is supposed to be done.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
That's great that you're having it next tuesday. Hope everything is perfect on this one for you, let us know how it goes.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
Best wishes on your second one.  It is too bad you have the knee problems on top of the non-perfect HR placement.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »
How did your second go?

bjk123

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:51 PM »
I am new to the site and am starting my research process before deciding on resurfacing or THR.  I have had life long issues wiht my hips that started at age 12 bith a bilater slipped epiphisys.  After the intial pinning, my left hip rejected and the surgery need to be repeated.  I have limited range of motion for the past 10 years and now have no cartiledge.  I am female and 38 years old.  I would like to lead an active life, but have always had limitations.  It has gotten so bad lately I can't hardly takes walks anymore and I wake up in pain almost every night, now my good leg is hurting too.  I am not a pill person but have been reduced to taking advil all the time.  Its time to do something about my pain and start living.  I am curious how your surgery with Dr. Marchand went, I am considering moving ahead and using him.  I really liked him and felt he was truly a good person and doctor, I like that he trained in NY and his Mentor is one of the best in the states.   Please let me know how you are feeling now and how your experience was at the hospital.  I am nervous about South County too.  You must have had a bad feeling going into it, how did you get through it?

Rolls

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »
Hello All,
I had surgery on 10/25/11 with Dr. Marchand at South County Hospital RI.  To put it "mildly" I am estatic with the outcome so far.  Each week I have gotten stronger and stronger, currently walking with a slight limp on my own, raking and mowing the yard.  Doing PT on Cape Cod and I am so much better off than my last BHR on my right side back in 2007 with Dr. Snyder, which still hurts by the way.  The hospital was great, I am hoping for a full recovery, wish I had heard about him earlier.  I have yet to see Dr. Marchand after the surgery, I always see his PA, but that man does a good job and I guess doesn't want to hear all the gloating.  I go for a visit at six weeks next Monday.

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »
So glad to hear that, Rolls - this is what you should have had from the first. Great news.

KurtS

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 01:03:31 PM »
I too experience on going pain with one of my resurfaced hips (BHR Right) but not both. I believe that the procedure to remove the femur from the hip was so difficult that the muscles never returned to where they should be. I heard from one of the people that assisted during the surgery, and she told me that they basically had the outside of my right ankle just about in right ear while they were trying to remove it. Its been three and half years now, and through PT and numerous tests, there has been no solution. My pain various from time to time, but its there. Its very frustrating.
BHR Left-June 7, 2007
BHR Right-October 28, 2008

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
I too experience on going pain with one of my resurfaced hips (BHR Right) but not both. I believe that the procedure to remove the femur from the hip was so difficult that the muscles never returned to where they should be. I heard from one of the people that assisted during the surgery, and she told me that they basically had the outside of my right ankle just about in right ear while they were trying to remove it. Its been three and half years now, and through PT and numerous tests, there has been no solution. My pain various from time to time, but its there. Its very frustrating.

Hi, welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your pain  - I never heard of that being the procedure for dislocation, but if the hip is problematic, then maybe you can take advantage of the list of doctors that Pat has in the site who will look at your current XRays or other scans for free. These are extremely experienced doctors in HR who will give a good opinion on whether something is wrong in the actual HR. It would let you know if something is amiss, or reassure you that the device is on right.

From what I've seen, groin pain can come from different causes, and they can be treated differently, so eliminating structural or other issues from the surgery is a good place to start. Welcome again.

Rolls

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »
Hi All,
I have been doing the iliopsoas tendon exercises where you do a floor lunge and pull up on the foot that lays to the backside.  My IT is so tight it is very painful to perform for the 20 seconds.  Only on my bad right side, my left side is still much better than my right and not nearly as tight.  Have bad pain in my right knee as well and when I ice it, my groin and hamstrings actually spasm and go into bad charlie horses.  I am telling you...this really sucks, that is why I believe I have muscle and nerve damage.  I keep trying but I think I will have to just realize I will never be pain free again.  But, I am still smiling.  These annoying pains are nothing compared to the pain before the BHRs.
Rolls

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 12:22:40 PM »
Sorry you're still dealing with pain, but good to see it's better than before. Have you tried a roller on your IT band? It has helped me with my IT band tightness.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal