+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New member, new hips coming this week!  (Read 2300 times)

mailmonkey

New member, new hips coming this week!
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
Hi all,

New on here, have had a bit of a lurk and a read around, some really usefulinfo on this site ;D

I got FAI, obviously been causing me problems for years, I'm 40 this year...

First went to GP in me mid 20's, basically told me I was far too young for hips problems and to go away and be more active....I am, and always have been active.

As  I got into me 30's I got more and more pain, which I could cope with, but very rapidly decreasing mobility, which I found hard to deal with...

Sports, canoing, skiing, horseriding, and most importantly sex, all became very very difficult for me....

Went back to GP about 6 years ago and he sent me for x-rays......mild OA was the result, but in his opinion it was nothing unusual, and I should have been able to cope with it...

So, and I'm sure you've all been through this, I resorted to pestering, he eventually referred me to a Physio who was superb, and he quickly realised that my hips were in a pretty bad way....

It's strange, I'm a postman, I walk 7 miles up and down hills and steps carrying up to 20kg, 5 days a week....I can walk fine, but no abduction whatsoever any more, no stregth in me hips.....

Anyway me physio referred me to a consultant who diagnosed FAI, he thought my right hip was too far gone, but he carried out an open debridement on my left hip to remove the impingements, this was in March 2008....

I've never really recovered from this surgery , and the pain in my left operated hip is worse than it was before the op....

The consultant has agreed that the surgery has failed, and I am having a bilateral resurfacing (Finsbury Adept) next Friday, 29th Jan......

I'm still working, I was back to work 3 months after my debridement, but take too many painkillers to get through my working day, and to sleep at night....

I can't wait for my new hips, can't wait for the ROM to return, can't wait to stop the painkillers.....but I'm very anxious about the op, in part I suspect because the debridement failed, but I KNOW the resurfacing has an excellent prognosis....

Anyone else here had bilateral resurfacing? How long recovery? I remember after my debridement being able to rely on my unoperated leg for strength/support/balance, but I won't have a "good" leg to rely on for a while.....

Sorry for the long intro,

Mailmonkey

toby

Re: New member, new hips coming this week!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:30:57 PM »
Mailmonkey,
Interesting that you're having the too Finsbury Adept a day before me. Where are you based? Who is your surgeon?
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

moe

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
 Welcome to the site Mailmonkey, I'm 56 and had bilat BHR just over six months ago. Was on crutches for 4 weeks, used 2 canes for a week or so. I went back to work at three months, most people seem to go back earlier. My occupation can be dangerous, high voltage, hydraulics, climb ladders, etc. I used those months to really work on my strength and mobility to safely go back to work. Worked with weights and therabands, naps, walking and cycling, lots of stretching, still do. I had lots of help from my wife to do the everyday things of life. I feel better than I have in a long time, no pain or issues at all. So much depends on the skill of the surgeon. It's not easy having both done at once but you can do it. Good luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

wayne-0

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »
Hey mailmonkey,

I'm a bi-lat on nov 7th 2008. The first five days were the hardest for me. A little tough getting out of bed at first but I got a shuffel to the edge of the bed method that worked pretty good. Getting to the bathroom and shower was the hardest part the first week and a half but after that i got used to it and it became easier and easier. I was very tired the first five days after surgery but my energy came back big time from day six on. I used a walker to get around til day eight than crutches for 3 or 4 days than i went to one crutch and on day 17 or 18 post op i went to the cane. Four weeks post op i did not need the cane anymore for short walks ( 1/2 mile or so ). Any walk longer than that I would bring the cane because my legs would get tired and that cane came in so handy to get me back home. The weirdest part for me the first 4 weeks i would feel unstable at times like my legs could just shift on me. I think that was due to muscle/soft tissue weakness. That went away. I was one of the lucky ones who woke up from surgery out of pain and on day three only took tylenol. After about 9 or 10 days i stopped taking tylenol. I work construction ( concrete and tile) and went back to work 11 weeks post op with absolutely no problems. If my job was not labor intensive i would have went back to work week 5 or 6 post op. I figured with the doctor doing such good work on me i didn't want to screw things up and go back to early. I am back to a very active life now, ( surfing,windsurfing,snowboarding, lite jogging, yoga,trampoline ect. I plan on going ice skating very soon as I used to skate quite often.I could ramble on about all the blessings this has been for me but this is long enough already. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about getting both done on the same day. E-mail me if you'd like.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:28:30 PM »
Hi

I have not had a bilateral - only one hip done.  I do however, know of many bialterals that have done very well.

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery and stay in touch. This is a great group of folks that are very supportive and will answer your questions.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

nysoccermom

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:26:44 PM »
I am 39 and had a bilateral resurfacing 10 weeks ago. Though I too was worried about not having a good leg to stand on, now that it's over I'm glad that I did both at once and do not have to go back. I agree with Wayne that getting in and out of bed was difficult at first but you'll figure out how to use your arms to lift yourself and shift your weight to get your legs to the edge of the bed. I actually slept in a recliner for close to 3 weeks which to me was easier than getting in and out of bed to use the bathroom and also to shift positions a bit as sleeping in one position on my back all night in bed was uncomfortable. I also used a commode chair over the toilet, the arms helped with getting up and down onto the seat. And for sitting at the table to eat I had a firm foam cushion which raised the chair seat and also protected the incisions a bit. I used a walker for maybe a week, I just preferred it to the crutches as it seemed easier to just lean on it when I needed to use a hand for something. Then I went to the forearm crutches which worked well for getting up and down stairs (which was tiring but not a problem). I was in the hospital for 4 nights and then had my sister stay with me for another 5 nights which was very helpful. You're welcome to e-mail me as well if you have additional questions about the bilateral. Best of luck to you.
Melanie

gazza

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
mailmonkey Good look with your surgery I’m sure all will go well. I have major respect for you bilateral folks, I think your all very tough cookies.  I don’t think I would have been brave enough to have both hips done at the same time…
 Keep us posted with your progress when you can.
Gazza
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

mailmonkey

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »
Thanks for ALL the replies!

I've discovered the Bilateral resurfacing parts of the forum too, some really inspiring/encouraging stories in there.... 8)

Going in tomorrow, just cooked meself and my wife a "last supper" lol, wild duck, loads of good organic veg and a bottle of Rioja!

Hopefully all will go to plan and next time I post I'll be learning how to use my new hips, hula-hooping, Van Damme style splits etc... ;)

MM

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »
Good Luck  ;D

Looking forward to a video of you hula hooping!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat