+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 months post op - good, but not great - Advice please?  (Read 2922 times)

schmittydomer

8 months post op - good, but not great - Advice please?
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »
Hello all - Been watching this site for years...Pat, thanks for offering it....great resource.  I wanted to get input from anyone willing to give it here.  41 yr old male, 8 months post op who had a left hip resurface end of May (Conserve +, Dr Bill Bose in Mobile, AL, very experienced, one of the best in the area, probably only Dr Gross has more experience).  Prior to surgery, had limped badly for years, but still maintained in pretty good shape lifting weights, doing elliptical, stairmaster etc.  Surgery went well, started back to gym at 1 week post up (no low body, just upper).  Started no impact stuff at 6 weeks, went well, went through 24 sessions of PT.....aches and pains, but went well.  I did have some issues relative to my hip flexor muscle.  it was so banged up after years of atrophy that i think it was easily flarable.  Is the hip flexor the same as the psoas?

Anyway, it is still not over the hump.....pops and cracks a little, no excruciating pain, but a lot of uncomfortable joint pain that I assume is muscle, though at times feel like an arthritic joint type pain.  Almost as if something is pinched.  It has sort of been up and down and I am just wondering if this could mean something is wrong (movement of implant, impingement of a nerve etc) or if it is just something that will take longer?  Last 2 items.....My back has always been bad, but seemed to really improve after the surgery until about the last 2 months - been 'out of place' 3 times and when it goes, it seems to also make the hip joint harder to walk on and sore.  lastly, when it was feeling pretty good after my first back incident healed, I went for a short 'run" and about 1/2 mile into it the hip felt as if it was filling with blood and got really achy.  I also get this achy feeling when I do a one leg squat on the operated leg.  Whew.....sorry so long.  Any inoput would be very helpful.

Mark
Left Hip Resurface 5/28/09
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:33:17 PM by schmittydomer »

schmittydomer

Re: 8 months post op - good, but not great
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »
one other note, I hit the gym about 4-5 times per week (weights, low/no impact cardio, stretching, core strengthening etc) and was hoping to resume a more active lifestyle.  The reason i ran one time was I was planning to do a 10k on my 1 yr anniversary but not looking good.  Thanks all.

Jamie N

Re: 8 months post op - good, but not great - Advice please?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
has it got better?I've been dealing with the same thing only 10weeks but feels like forever,Ihave that same pinch feeling you metion.I'd like to hear if you got anymore progress.

resurface

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
Schmittydomer

Hi. It is interesting to me that a number of people have such varying progressions. Yes, I know we are human but I can't help but wonder at the variation. I am only 2 weeks out and it has been amazing. My fingers are crossed that it continues.  You mentioned that you limped badly for years... This does take a toll on the body.  To me it says that once you are on this degenerative course, don't wait too long before getting it repaired.  Sorry to digress.  My inclination is to start over.  That is, start with a surgical examinaton / assessment and maybe start fresh from a PT perspective. Seems like you need a PT that really understands exercise physiology and biomechanics.  I wish you well.

Resurface.

PS - Psosas is part of several hip flexor muscles.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
Mark

If you are still having problems you might want to get a second or third opinon from some really expeirnced hip resurfacing surgeons.  You surgeon is definitely not as experienced as Dr. Gross who has done almost 2000 hip resurfacings.  Few surgeons in the US are that experienced.  

You can email Dr. Gross and Dr. De Smet of Belgium and attach a copy of your x-rays in a digital format as a .jpg    Dr. Gross will call you and Dr. De Smet will email you back.  Have them make sure your acetabular cup is positioned properly to make sure there is no impingement.

Also since you had hip problems for along time before your surgery, you may have a much longer recovery.  I am sure you understand that even though you have a great new MOM resurfacing - all your muscles and soft tissue need to heal and learn how to become normally functioning again.

Have you talked about your problems with your surgeon.  Maybe he has some thoughts on additional PT.  Have you tried water therapy?  It is great to help muscles and problems.  I did water walking in a neck deep therapy pool at 92 degrees.  It really helped my stiffness.  You might want to find a local PT with a pool.  Here's some of my exercises and De Smet's exercises  http://www.surfacehippy.info/ptarticles.php

Pat
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:54:13 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat