+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anaesthesia which is best for me  (Read 1453 times)

saffrons

Anaesthesia which is best for me
« on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:15 AM »
I had a left hip resurface 10 weeks ago and am really please with progress.  I am now scheduled to have my right hip resurfaced in April but am pondering on anaesthesia.  I had my first hip done under epidural (with sedation I might add) as I cannot imagine being aware of  sounds etc...  I had urinary retention after the surgery and had to have a catheter put in which then led to a urine infection.  I had very low blood pressure which increased the length of my stay in hospital, I had major difficulties going to the loo! I understand that codeine and morphine can dehydrate the bowel and cause constipation and i suffered horrendous migraine.  Different people have suggested I may be better with a general anaesthetic as perhaps the spinal injection could have been responsible for some of my problems.  Would be good to hear some different experiences.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Anaesthesia which is best for me
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »
Hi

I had a general with no problems.  Dr. De Smet likes a general because it makes the body very relaxed.  He does his surgeries in about 45 minutes because he thinks people have better recoveries the less they are under anasthesia.  I made sure I asked for meds so I did not get nauseauted since that happens to me very easily.  No problems.  Most people start taking stool softners before surgery.  It is a common problem and it is recommended you take them to help with constipation.

The best person to ask about your options would be your doctor.  Tell him your thoughts and what your problems were - ask what else he can use.  Each surgeon is different, but should try to take care of each patients needs and worries.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tarhoo2

Re: Anaesthesia which is best for me
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:06:46 PM »
I did general for both my BHR's because I already knew I don't have problems with it.  The first anesthesiologist really pushed the epidural but, quite frankly, I didn't particularly care about being "clear-headed" when I came to.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear