+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfaced Jan 30 Prof. Cobb  (Read 2112 times)

toby

Resurfaced Jan 30 Prof. Cobb
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »
Hi Pat et al,
What's happened to mail monkey?
As I said in the listings above- I was due for my resurfacing on 30 Jan-last Saturday.
Thought I'd give my update.
My wife drove me to the King Edward 7th hospital off Harley St in London at 5.30 am-lamp lit London streets fresh snow on the ground, looked beautiful and provided an amazing memory to my HR. Signed in at 6am, pre op procedures went like clockwork. Saw my surgeon Prof Cobb at 7.45 had a very long chat about dev's in HR and of course some of the discussions I have posted re- his navigated/acrobot approach. Said he expected the surgery to last 1 and half to 2 hours but was in no hurry-just after perfection. Went for surgery at 8.45, had general, woke up in recovery just over 2 hours later, back in room had lunch at aroung 12-15 absolutely starving! Saw Prof Cobb early evening said all went to plan, he is a truly wondeful man. Bed exercises rest of Saturday. Didn't feel like I'd undergone major surgery-in fact felt great and family couldn't believe it (I did keep very fit pre-surgery).
Next day walking on crutches, did the bed exercises and had no pain etc but some swelling. Next day a stick and hydrotherapy-how fantastic-vg range of movement and able to move the joint where it hadn't been for years. Anyway, I came home yesterday (day 5)  following 3 hydro sessions, great food, superb support, so now just feel great.Out for my daily walks, doing the physio stuff etc but just want to say a couple of things about my experience to help  others in London. King Ed hospital hits 10 out of 10 in every area-Prof Cobb has established a series of protocols with brilliant booklets(pre-op/post op/avoiding clots/medication options/physio-hydro/going home etc) everyone was just fantastic-as good as any 5 star hotel I've ever been!
Prof Cobb is a wonderful man- more interested in precision surgery than a numbers game-did 3 ops last Saturday. All his patients (including those I spoke to in private emails pre-op and those I met post op incuding a guy I reckon must be 70 and was resurfaced 3 years ago ) the nurses and physios all speak very highly of him. He visited me every day. Hence, you have to wait a long time for an appointment but when you get him it's special as my 42 yr old fellow patient agreed(he had to wait 3 months and travelled 200 miles!
Wish I had my surgery earlier I'm 57 but very sporty and the last couple of months pre surgery were very difficult-deterioration became rapid!
Better get out for walk number 2 now but I'd be happy to talk to anyone further, particularly fellow Londoners considering HR.
Regards
Toby
 New Prof C Hippy
ps Whilst in hospital had  a couple of firsts
"Toby -Just going to put your stocking on" nurse
" Just going to sqeeze your Gluts" physio

LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Resurfaced Jan 30 Prof. Cobb
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
Hi Toby

Congratulations on the New Hip - you are an Official Surface Hippy!

I gave you your own topic - you deserve it after major surgery.

Glad to hear things are going so well for you.  That's the way we all want things to progress.

Keep up the good work, but don't overdue until you get further along.

Keep in touch, we are all anxious to hear how things are going for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

halfdone

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
Good to hear that all is going very well for you Toby.  Thank you for sharing your experiences.  The acrobot computer assisted surgical system sounds very interesting.  I wonder if it will be adopted in the US, or if it will suffer from the typical not-invented-here resistance.
Good luck with your continued recovery and rehab.

LOGAN13

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 07:43:08 AM »
Hip Hip Hurray....lol

Great to read things went so well for ya Toby. All the pre-op worries now but a distant memory. Good luck in a speedy recovery. Can't wait to join you .

Take care,

Tim

toby

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:16:09 PM »
Pat, Halfdone and Tim,
I really appreciate your good wishes.
I feel really good and also very fortunate to be making such a positive recovery at this stage (I only needed paracetamol from day 3 and now only take 2 at night in order to get a good night's sleep). I look forward to the daily walks, exercises and for the first time in over 30 years the opportunties to be away from the stresses of work(teacher) and the personal development time.
 However, one little hitch-my wife ordered the grabber several days ago and it still hasn't arrived-I can't believe the number of things one drops in a day when there aint no one around to pick them up! I'm sure other hippies must have similar funny stories but I've become so inventive in how to pick up essential items off the floor without breaking the 90 degree rule! Like, wanted to get on the computer, glasses fell on the floor -had to put sticky tape on the bottom of the walking stick to get the much needed £1 store specs, got them second go, felt so pleased with myself but then.... dropped my stick...oh no!... then used some very deeply ingrained soccer skills, rolled my toes under the stick and flicked it up, fortunately catching it before knocking myself out! Oh dear what's become of me!
Love to you all
Toby

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:29:23 PM »
Hi Toby

I picked things up from the floor all the time by putting my operated leg out in back of me, holding on to something from my crutch to whatever was around - then bent at the waist.  That way the leg is out back and you are not breaking the 90 rule.  A lot of people do that.

Hope that helps.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

medgerton

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »
Toby,

I second Pat's comment on picking up things off the floor. I was able to exactly what she said. I did not even need anything to stabilize myself. Try it while holding on to something. If you have good core strength and balance try it without holding onto anything.

Sounds like you are making great progress. That feels great.

moe

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »
Try doing it with a double! LOL
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

toby

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 04:35:16 PM »
Pat, Medgerton,
 Great advice. Of course, that's the way I been picking things up for a couple years with the leg automatically stretching out behind cos I aint been able to bend properly. But Moe of course the bilateral would have made it 'impossible', but as I've realised  hippies become really imaginative problem solvers although the thought of you trying to rescue things from the floor brings both tears and laughter!
Cheers
Toby

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat