+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running 15 minutes MAX. ??  (Read 2006 times)

masterlee10

Running 15 minutes MAX. ??
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:12:54 PM »
I opened a new topic for a new question. I have had my Right hip resurfaced by De Smet 5 months ago. I am able to do spinning, cycling, muscle fitness training, cross training etc..  What I cannot do is running/jogging for longer than 15 min. Everytime I give it a try it seems I can extend the time with another minute or so, but my hip starts to feel soar. Almost like I have an injury and continue to run with it. The PT said that it might be a bursa(?) infection on the side of my hip bone. IT is around the scar area where it becomes soar and I feel like wanting to stop immediately since the feeling is NOT comfortable.

Did someone experience same thing?

THanks

Lee
Lee, Right Hip, Conserve+, De Smet, 2009-09-09

kb134

Re: Running 15 minutes MAX. ??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:40:45 AM »
Hi MasterLee,
Glad you're posting questions! Remember, you're asking people who have had Resurfacing, not necessarily people who are surgeons or are medically trained. Even a PT may fumble with answers because their skill-set is in a different area, like rehabilitation, not why someone is experiencing specific or vague hip pain because of specific trauma to a patient's hip during hip surgery.
Here is a link to Hip Anatomy:

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/trochanteric-bursitis-hip

If I can share anything that would help, it would be to assure you that at the very least, it is not a loose device - either the femoral component or the acetabular cup.
I had a loose acetabular cup which took 20 months to diagnose - via a revision - and running, I did not last even 1 minute at a slow jogging pace - the pain was so excessive.
However, during my search for answers over those 20 months, I had a "Bone Scan" which revealed only a "Hot Spot" over my Greater Trochanter where the bursa sac is located and allows a tendon - see diagram inside link - to slide/glide over the boney precipice. The "hot-spot" indicated that I had had surgery, which certainly was not news, and that I may have been suffering from trochanteric bursitis - only I was not active enough to really feel it. The area around the incision was also still quite numb which added to why I could not feel it.
Are you able to contact or see Dr De Smet? His opinion would be best to set your mind at ease and get you on your way. Get the answers, for your own peace of mind, from the expert, so you may get back to a strong first 12 month post-op experience.
Best to you and the Surface Hippy Family.

masterlee10

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:19:07 AM »
Thanks kb134,

Your feedback is pretty much in line with what the PT was telling me. But since I think I'd better learn from the fellow patient than the doctors I like to get some real live examples from people that experienced is first hand. Your explanation helps me already with understanding the difference between "device" problems and muscle issues/challenges. I am a very active person and if I need to be training those muscles every day, then that is what I will do. But I need to understand if I need to rest those muscles or be more active. I will contact Dr de Smet this week. At least I now know better how to describe it to him ;-)

Thanks!

Lee

Lee, Right Hip, Conserve+, De Smet, 2009-09-09

pashley

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
had my BHR done in Oct 09 by Mr Mcminn he tells his patients not to run at all for a year !!!!
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »
Even with 1 year limitations on running please be careful not to push it too much too quickly, as others have been doing, start slow, maybe on a cushioned track a lap or too jog, then slowly build up and see how your hip deals with it.

Please ignore the hype you see on other sites that claim these miracle recoveries where people have run marathons 2 months post-op.

Please be careful as we do not like to hear about revisions and listen to what your doctor says.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM