+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has Anyone here with AVN had Hip Resurfacing?  (Read 1819 times)

tennis07

Has Anyone here with AVN had Hip Resurfacing?
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here has had Avascular Necrosis of the femoral head and had Hip Resurfacing?

If so, I would love to know how your pain has been since your procedure? I heard there is a possibility of AVN progressing, causing pain, and loosening of the implant which ultimately results in having to revise it to a hip replacement; this definitely concerns me.

So...if anyone has had hip AVN and had Resurfacing I would REALLY appreciate hearing from you! :-)

-Sincerely,
Jacob Nekunazarazad
(Age 20, Bilateral AVN in hips)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Has Anyone here with AVN had Hip Resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »
Hi Jacob

Many people have resurfacing due to AVN.  Dr. Bose of India, who is one of the world's best hip resurfacing surgeons, does a large number of ANV cases - I think almost half his surgeries are for AVN.   He will also give you a free consultation via email if you send him an email and attach your x-rays in a digital format as a .jpg  

You are very young and it is wonderful that you have learned about hip resurfacing.  I have a few young people, in their teens, who have their stories posted about their resurfaicngs.  One was a young 14 year old girl who is now back living an active, pain free life.

Since you are so young, it will be very important to choose on of the best surgeons in the world.  Do not choose one of the less expeirnced surgeons.  They do not have the skills the top surgeons who have done a thousand or more resurfacings have.  The less expiernced surgeons will often revert to a THR if the surgery looks too difficult.  Look at my list and consider the surgeons that have done a thousand or more http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

There is a time frame which is best to have a resurfacing for AVN.  You can wait too long and lose that window of opportunity to have a resurfaicng and end up with a THR.  So it is best to monitor your hip deterioration via x-rays and input from the top surgeons.  Pain alone is not the only factor that tells you the condition of your hips.  You need an experinced surgeon read your x-rays to tell when the time is right for a resurfacing with AVN.

Other surgeons that will give you a free email consultaiton are Dr. Gross of SC and  Dr. De Smet of Belgium.

Please stay in touch.  We are not doctors, but will try to answer your questions that are not too specific about your condition.  We know what surgery is like and what recovery is like. We can offer a lot of support.

Pat
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:43:29 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

tennis07

Re: Has Anyone here with AVN had Hip Resurfacing?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Thank you Pat!

I have made contact with Dr. De Smet and I will let you know how it goes!

-Jacob

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat