+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knee Soreness  (Read 2168 times)

resurface

Knee Soreness
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »
I am planning on having my knee resurfaced in May.  I have been having some periodic knee pain [same side].  This materilizes as sorness "in the knee,"  ligaments - patella/femoral tendon, etc.  I think that it may be related to the external rotation of my hip [over time] and potential impact on mechanics.  Has anyone had a similar situation?  Was it resolved post surgery?  Genral thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Knee Soreness
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »
Hi Resurface

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I have not had the problem you described.  I can tell you that people with bad hips often have problems with their knees and backs.  That is because when any joint is painful and deteriorating, the rest of the body is out of balance and trying to compensate for the injured joint.

Many people that had hip resurfacing do find that their back and knee problems resolve themselves after they have healed.  It takes a good deal of time since most people have had the original joint problems a long time.  I had very painful back problems and almost lived at the chiropractor.  Now that I am 4 years post op, my back problems are much better.

It is diffiuclt for surgeons to decide what is causing the problems when people have artiritis and other joints and backs involved.

I would be happy to have you post your knee resurfacing story on my Knee Talk Discussion Group on my  http://kneesforyou.com/kneetalk/  website.  Knee resurfacing is a newer option in knee replacement and there are not many experinced surgeons performing the surgery.  Who is going to do your surgery?

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

resurface

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »
Pat

Hello and thank you for your comments.  I have been considering making an extensive "diary" of my experiences leading up to a decison to have surgery: from trying PT to yoga, as well as the ailments that presented along the way.    If you think that people are interested in folowing along I would do so.  As far as a surgeon, Dan Snyder at Newton-Wellsely in Newton, MA. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »
Hi

Personal stories and experinces are probably the best way for others to learn about their options and what to expect.  I hope you will start a topic on Knee Talk and go ahead and post your information.  Keep it updated.  I will take the story after you get your knee replacement and can post it on the main part of the website.  Have you tried the Synvisc treatments?  My neighbor had them and they lasted about 4 months or more.  They are very expensive.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

resurface

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:46:41 PM »
Pat

Hi.  Just to be clear, I am having my hip resurfaced.  I just wanted to see if others had periodic knee issues associated with the hip.  Sounds like your experience is that many things can be affected as a result of long term hip degeneration.  I am happy to post "my story."  Just confirm for me where is should be placed.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »
Hi

Sorry, your original post above stated you are having your knee resurfaced

I am planning on having my knee resurfaced in May.

There is such a thing as knee resurfacing and it too is a very diffiuclt surgery. A person needs to use a very experinced knee resurfacing surgeon and there are not many.

You can just post your story and log under the Hip Stories Section - or send it to me after you write it.  A lot of people like to keep a log of their progress before and after surgery.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
Before my hip resurfacing I was convinced I had done real damage to my knee, on the same side. The knee discomfort was nearly as bad as the hip pain. I am now one year removed from my hip resurfacing and my knee has never felt better :) We alter our stance and stride so significantly, to compensate for oour hip issues, that we stress out other body parts. Once the hip issies are addressed the rest of our parts tend to return to normal.

resurface

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I hope that I have the same experience as far as my knee.  Have a great day...

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear