+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: pain while jogging  (Read 4421 times)

mikeschicky

pain while jogging
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
I had my resurfacing done 3 years ago. No complications . It was the BEST thing ever for me !

I decide this year I wanted to get the rest of my life back by getting in shape and losing 100 pounds. I've been watching what I eat and using a walk/jog video since the beginning of January and have dropped 25 pounds so far .

The video is getting a little old so I thought I would start walking/jogging at a track (flat cushioned surface), walk 4 min jog 1 min for 35 min and increasing the jog time gradually.

Now my hip (the one I had done ) is SORE , the other is fine. I'm feeling a little freaked out. I don't want to mess myself up I remember how awful the pain was before my surgery. After some ibprophan and tylonol I'm feeling better , not great but better.

What would you guys advise?

Should I hold off any attempt at jogging till I reach my goal weight? Walking isn't an issue. Should I spend time doing strength exercises around the joint?

I live out of country so making an appointment with Doc. isn't an option. I doubt I'd be able to find one here.

I'm so disappointed, I've wanted to get into jogging for years.

larry2458

Re: pain while jogging
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:09:22 AM »
I had my resurfacing done 3 years ago. No complications . It was the BEST thing ever for me !

I decide this year I wanted to get the rest of my life back by getting in shape and losing 100 pounds. I've been watching what I eat and using a walk/jog video since the beginning of January and have dropped 25 pounds so far .

The video is getting a little old so I thought I would start walking/jogging at a track (flat cushioned surface), walk 4 min jog 1 min for 35 min and increasing the jog time gradually.

Now my hip (the one I had done ) is SORE , the other is fine. I'm feeling a little freaked out. I don't want to mess myself up I remember how awful the pain was before my surgery. After some ibprophan and tylonol I'm feeling better , not great but better.

What would you guys advise?

Should I hold off any attempt at jogging till I reach my goal weight? Walking isn't an issue. Should I spend time doing strength exercises around the joint?

I live out of country so making an appointment with Doc JJ isn't an option. I doubt I'd be able to find one here.

I'm so disappointed, I've wanted to get into jogging for years.
where abouts on your hip does it hurt ??does it feel like the joint or tight muscles ??
lbmh 16th october 2008

bothdone

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:19:24 AM »
Hi

I wouldn't recommend doing all your jogging on tracks.  They are not as cushioned as they might seem.  I know of athletes who have picked up injuries from doing too much training on tracks. (not caused by speed but by amount).

The second point about tracks is that half of the time you are running round a bend and putting different stresses on different parts of your body.  You can change direction but you are still going to be running unevenly on the bends.

If you can, find somewhere where you can jog on grass or trails.  Failing that, have a go on a treadmill.   You can have total control over speed and distance when you are jogging on a treadmill.   Try to vary the surfaces you jog on.

Hope things work out well for you.    Best wishes with your weight loss.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:04:46 AM »
Ditto - MikeChicky - I am almost 2 yrs in from my surgery, started Boot Camp (not the ARMY just a local work out) and having pain in hip. I notified my Dr. and it might be tendonitius. I'll rest it a bit and see how it goes...Good Luck to you..

SharkGirl
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

mikeschicky

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:25:23 PM »
Larry,
Best way to describe it is sore, tightness, ache around the joint. 

Ed,
good points. It'd LOVE to do trails unfortunately I'm in a developing country and it's not safe to just go out and walk around. I don't think there are any trails to be had. I'll ask around. I might be able to get a tread mill some time.

I've been walking (power walking) at the track a few times a week and when I begin to get sore it's time for cool down and stretches. I'm good for a mile which is frustrating because the rest of me feels like I'm just getting started :(

I'm also using my stationary bike more , SO borring. But it gets the job done.

I'm hoping losing weigh, building muscle, and stretching will help fix the hip issue.

Thanks for your feedback !

bothdone

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:05:56 AM »
Hi again

A couple of points for you:

I used a stationary bike a lot between my two BHRs.   I fixed a small TV in front of it and did used the bike when there was something I wanted to watch on TV.   Made it much less boring.

You could try walking and jogging on the track.    jog the straights and walk the bends.    You can run past the start of the bend and then walk in a straight line across the top of the bend.  That way the straights will be about 120m long each time and you'll get a rest.    You could also look if you can run on the grass inside the track (if there is grass there).   Again you could do walk-jog.

Hope evrything goes well.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

resurface

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 07:56:27 PM »
If you are starting from 100 pounds over your desired goal, I am assuming that you have been leading a sedentary lifestyle for at least the last few years.  The amount of stress from running is significant let alone with extra weight.  While cycling or using the eliptical may get a bit boring, it is easy on the body.  Try challenging yourself with interval training: intensity followed by a slight rest period.  Interval training is a great way to burn calories and develop stamina.  Why stress your joints at this juncture?  Good luck...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
Hi mikeschicky

I think it's great that you are trying to lose weight and getting active.  I would only suggest that you don't do running until you lose a great deal of that weight.  Many surgeons don't like their patients to run, but most let the since their patients don't much listen to the surgeons anyways.  Remember that if you are a great deal overweight - it probably isn't good for any part of your body to be running.  Why not just walk and walk fast for now?  Most likely your metal resurfacing device is strong and hopefully your bone is fully grown around it since you are 3 years post op. But many other things can happen including bursitus.  That happens to many people in both the operated hip and non operated hip. 

My doctor always told me to listen to my body.  If you hip is hurting - it is most likely a muscle or bursitus issue.  I would not be jogging - but taking it easy as you become more active.  After all - you haven't done anything for 3 years, you can't just start now.  How about joining the gym and using the ellipital machine and other?  Maybe riding a bike or swimming. Things that are not so pounding on your body until you lose more weight.  Be cautious and keep eating right.  Don't do something that hurts and will get you upset and stop your weight loss.  You could always drop your doctor a letter, email or phone call to talk with him/her.

Take it easy, but don't give up.  Spring is almost here.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

mikeschicky

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 11:44:54 PM »
You guys are great !

Pat & Resurface, I think your right about holding off jogging till I'm at my goal weight. I'll stick with the walking and biking. Interval training on the bike...that's worth looking into !

Ed, wonderful idea about making the curves into straights and getting a rest in !

I've moved my bike to a spot by the T.V. so watching it is an option.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear