+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: new to this board...just saying hello  (Read 3529 times)

techie211

new to this board...just saying hello
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »
hello everyone, I've been to this board before but only now just became a member. I had my right hip done by Dr. Gross from SC on Feb. 3. it's been over two weeks now and things are going good so far. The swelling and bruising are going down and the pain is very little. I still feel a little discomfort inside my leg near my groin area. I can feel some clunking and movement in my hip which scared the crap out of me at first. I contacted Nancy Smith about all the movement I'm experiencing and she said its not uncommon to feel and/or hear the components. The muscles are still very weak. As they continue to get stronger, the sensation of something moving in there will subside. I'm doing my exercises and a lot of walking. I was very active before the surgery. I teach martial arts, i ride and stunt motorcycles and train in mma. I explained all this to Dr. Gross prior to the surgery and he said there is no reason I shouldn't be doing all that again after I'm fully recovered. I fully trust him and excited to do all those things again. I been reading on this board about people getting blood clots and the "clunking" not going away. I have to tell you, I'm feeling a little uneasy reading all that and hoping I don't experience any of that. Only time will tell I guess..lol. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and share my experience with all of you. I think I've found a new home here. ;) I will keep everyone updated on my progress and maybe post some pics ;D

edit: posting two pics of me riding.. ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:26:26 AM by techie211 »

obxpelican

Re: new to this board...just saying hello
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
You are VERY early in your recovery, clunking, clicking and some weird sensations are all a normal part of healing.

With blood clots you will usually have pain, swelling, heat and sometimes throbbing, use that ice machine as much as possible and elevate if you become swelled.

Call Lee or Nancy if you think anything is wrong at all, they are good people and you paid for the help that they will give you.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

techie211

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »
thanks for the reply obxpelican, believe me, if I have any questions I don't hesitate to email Nancy any questions I have. She/they are always very helpful and quick to reply. I'm glad all the weird feelings and clunking etc are a part of the healing process. I do feel a little soreness on the inside of my thigh near the groin area which is what I was feeling before the surgery ??? Hopefully that will go away. I'm real excited and can't wait to get back to my normal routines. thanks again for your input.

Also want to mention I have the uncemented resurfacing components. I read that it usually takes 6 months for the bone to fuse onto the implants? so am I at risk of implant dislocation during that time? I did ask Nancy this question and was told Lee can better answer this question and I am awaiting a call from her. thanks again

-j
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:21:39 PM by techie211 »

techie211

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
Don't worry you picked one of America's top surgeon you should be fine.

amen to that. It was a 12 hr trip each way but I'm so happy I went with Dr. Gross. The whole staff and stay was top notch!

techie211

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 04:53:57 PM »
hello again. just want to update. everything is coming along nicely. I do however feel some groin pain. Just wondering if that is normal. I'm going on my 4th week and I've been walking alot! any input on this is appreciated. other than the groin pain and the pain I feel when I'm driving for a while and get out to take the first steps I'm feeling pretty good. I'm using a cane and actually started taking a few steps without the cane sometimes. I'm happy and cant wait to start pt ;D bye for now

roosevelt heights

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »
Got my new hip 2/5, our renewal date is nearly the same...approved for "walking" in the pool and let me tell you, an excellent form of rehab...

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »
Haha I didn't even drive until 6-1/2 weeks. It sounds like your recovery is way ahead of what mine was, so I cant really comment on whats "normal" pain at 4 weeks out.  But those slow speed wheelies are awesome !  I can do slow ones all day long on a atc or quad, and I can do pretty long fast ones on my yz, but never figured out the side to side balance to do slow ones on 2 wheels, oh well, maybe we can have an advanced wheelie class in a few months  ;D.
Heres me at about 6 months out,

I've been doing alot of desert riding and have to say the new hip works great, I see no problems riding motorcycles with a re-surfaced hip, Crashing a motorcycle on the other hand may be a different story. I waited a little over a year before I started riding hard on it and so far it's worked fine even with 2 trips over the bars.  Be patient and listen to  doc. Good Luck, Bill

pashley

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »
never mind your hip what about your head if you come off !!!
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
never mind your hip what about your head if you come off !!!

Haha yeah I know. I was going about 2 or 3 mph when that picture was taken.  Don't worry when I ride my bike I wear every pad and brace known to man, chest protector, kidney belt etc. I wasn't really riding that trip cause of my hip but I couldn't resist doing a few 1st gear wheelies around camp. That was my 1st time in the desert after about 9 months of no riding...    but yeah... Busted!!   My bad  :-[

pashley

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »
looks good fun but glad to hear you wear the gear !
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

The Kid

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
Wow, it sounds like everyone is doing so very well with there resurfacings which gives me a lot of confidence.  I just had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Rogerson and it too was first class as techie211 mentioned about Dr. Gross.  I'm not nearly as active as you guys but I do hope to get back running half marathons and maybe even a marathon or two when it's all said and done.  I'm amazed at how quick the recovery is coming along and how good my hip feels.  I'm going to listen to my Doctor and physical therapist (I've been fortunate to have a great one of those as well) and keep moving forward every day.  This site is awesome I love the positive attitudes and can do spirit of everyone here.  Thanks for the inspiration and best of luck to you all. 
LH BHR, 2/22/2010, Dr. Rogerson, Madison, WI Meriter Hosptial

techie211

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
looking good B.I.L.L., ;D I actually stunt sport bikes with my buddies. circles, no handers, high chairs, stoppies(endos), spreaders, seat standers, coasters etc. I have some videos on youtube. just look up 'atnuts'. We do some shows here & there. this Sunday I'm meeting up with my riding buddies just to watch them practice..I'm jonesin to ride..lol it's going to be 50 degrees here Sunday so I'm definitely getting out. anyway, it's been alittle over 4 weeks and I'm walking without the cane.  ;) still need it for the stairs though ::) My next appointment with Dr. Gross is 3/23 and he'll let me know if I can start pt. it's coming along pretty good but feel really soar after a long drive until I take a few steps then I'm good. Other than that I feel no pain and the swelling is pretty much gone ;D ok, gotta go. Good luck to all recovering  ;)

EDIT: does anyone know where I can find video of Dr. Gross' surgery's? I'm curious to see what I went through..lol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:21:31 PM by techie211 »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat