+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. McMinn, Birmingham, England  (Read 3798 times)

Jamesw

Dr. McMinn, Birmingham, England
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:33:40 AM »
Has anyone had any recent experiences using Dr. McMinn for BHR?  I am an American but living abroad so my insurance gives me the opportunity to use any doctor overseas I choose since it is cheaper than anything in the States.  I know there are other doctors with plenty of experience and I see other doctor's with lots of comments and not as much for McMinn.  Any reason why?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Dr. McMinn, Birmingham, England
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »
Hi James

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I thought you might like to know surgeons in the UK are always called Mr.    Mr. McMinn, Mr. Treacy, etc.  There is a long history of that usage there. 

I think many more people just tend to go to Dr. De Smet in Belgium because of his patients posting so much in the past on the Yahoo surfacehippy discussion group.  That is where I learned about him.  He is set up for overseas patients and has a wonderful rehab facility.  Something like 40 people from Madison WI had gone to him, so where there are a few De Smet patients - there are usually many more.  De Smet has done over 3000 resurfacings.  He has a very large following.

Although there are many Mr. McMinn patients, not that many post on the disucssion groups.  There certainly is nothing wrong with choosing him as your surgeon.  He is one of the best hr surgeons in the world and helped develope many devices in resurfacing.  I have met him and he is very freindly.  He attends the hip resurfacing courses. He is very busy in developing new products like the ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing and the BMHR   

You could not go wrong with McMinn, Treacy or De Smet.  All top resurfacing surgeons in the whole world.  You are lucky to be living overseas.

I have quite a few personal stories from Mr. McMinn's patients here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Mr._McMinn_Hip_Stories_

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tekka

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »
Hi James,

Mr McMinn gave me a LBHR just over a year ago, he is an exceptional surgeon. I have been given a new lease of life, I'm at a point now that I forget I had the operation 90% of the time.

That said, the surgeons mentioned by Pat have an excellent record..so you have a choice available to you.

Mr McMinn also supports my beloved Wolverhampton Wanderers Foootball Club...TOP MAN.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

pashley

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:24:29 AM »
I had my BHR done Oct 09 by mr Mr Mcminn so just about 4/12 post surgery now and great so far, seem to be getting better every day. Also he's very nice as is hospital where he does surgery.
LBHR 27/10/09 Mr Mcminn

Nestlyn

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:04:04 AM »
Hello James,

I  had my LBHR done recently by Mr Mcminn (02/02/10).  I am now 24 days post op and doing very well, and have my 6-8 week post op review coming up at the end of March.

I would also like to say that Mr Mcminn has a fantastic and experienced team that work with him.

It is still early days for me with regards to recovery, but my whole experience so far is a very good one under McMinn.

Nestlyn.

sarahb

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »
This chap sounds very good, perhaps I will ask for a referral to him for my second opinion ?

I guess really I just want confirmation that what my surgeon is telling me xx

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat