+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ASR withdrawn from Market  (Read 4575 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
ASR withdrawn from Market
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »
Updated 3/2/2010

There has been discussion on the internet about the ASR not being available any longer.  I have a statment from Lorie Gawreluk that I would like to share:

The status of DePuy Orthopaedics’ ASR platform as Feb. 2010

*Last fall of 2009, DePuy decided to discontinue ASR® XL Acetabular Head System and DePuy ASR® Hip Resurfacing Platform (not available in the U.S.) worldwide.   As a result of declining demand for the ASR platform and other market factors, DePuy is in the process of phasing out this platform to focus on the development of next generation hip replacement and resurfacing technologies that best meet the needs of surgeons and patients.

DePuy wants to assure patients who have been treated with a device from the ASR platform that there will be options available to them in the future should they need a revision:

· If a patient who had received the DePuy ASR® XL Acetabular Head System for total hip replacement requires a revision surgery, the acetabular component could be revised with the Pinnacle Hip Solutions platform, which would be compatible with an existing well-fixed femoral stem.

· As with any hemi-resurfacing prosthesis, including the DePuy ASR® hemi arthroplasty, a patient requiring a revision procedure would generally be treated with a total hip replacement.

· For patients outside the U.S. treated with DePuy ASR® Hip Resurfacing (not commercially available in the U.S.), DePuy intends to maintain an inventory of ASR XL heads outside the U.S. for use on compatible DePuy femoral stems. This will allow surgeons outside the U.S. the option of retaining a well-fixed ASR Cup when appropriate as part of the revision procedure.

Lorie Gawreluk
Vice President, Worldwide Communications
DePuy, Inc.

I just wanted to keep everyone up to date and not have the current patients with ASRs to worry.  When an expienced surgeon placed the ASR acetabular cup properly, there were no problems.  Again, the problems occur from the less experienced surgeons that don't place cups properly. That old steep learning curve situation shows up again. So once again I emphasize to use the most experienced surgeons that you can.  I know every surgeon has to gain that experience, but the educated hip resurfacing patient knows he can choose the expeinced surgeons. That is why I spend so much time and money promoting this website - to help people learn the important facts about hip resurfacing.

Pat
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:26:41 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

wayne-0

Re: ASR
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »
Hi Pat,
Thanks for posting this info about the depuy ASR  Dr. Ball placed both left and right hips using the ASR for me and it's been just shy of 16 months post op and so far I have had no problems whatsoever. Hope it continues to go that way. You are absolutly correct about having an experienced doctor do the surgery. I'm glad I found Dr. Ball on this website on your Drs. list.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: ASR
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 07:53:10 AM »
Hi Wayne

I will have more information from DePuy and hopefully, Dr. Bose.  Dr. Schmalzried helped me get the original information.  As DePuy said, they were glad that I wanted to post correct information and not rumors.

I did not want any current patients that had ASRs to be worried.  Again, when they were placed by the exprienced surgeons, there were no cup problems.

I will post additional information as I receive it.

I am sure you will have your ASRs for many years to come.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz