+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 22 Hours Post Op Dr. Mont  (Read 2458 times)

saa115

22 Hours Post Op Dr. Mont
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:12:24 AM »
Hi all. I'm 22hrs post surgery and doing pretty well. No real pain, just some mild discomfort and nauseau. I get my first PT in an hour.  I'm really happy and excited to on the road to recovery. Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 22 Hours Post Op Dr. Mont
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:30:05 AM »
Welcome to the other side - you are an official Surface Hippy.

Take it easy and let us know how things are going when you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

saa115

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:03 AM »
Hi all.  It has now been nearly 5 days since my LH resurfacing and rehabilitation is progressing reasonably well.  I have very little pain.  In fact, I took the prescribed percoset only once since returning home on day 3 post op.  I'm taking Tylenol 2 to 3 times a day.  There's still quite a bit of swelling in the 7" incision and lots of bruising,  but I've very optimistic.  I can walk easily with crutches and stand easily without crutches with 50% distribution of weight on each leg.

I remember prior to surgery all the uncertainty I had and the emotional tug of war that I was fighting.  I know each case is different, but this procedure has been such a blessing. All the arthritic pain is gone, I can see the range of motion return, I no longer stand with a "hitch" that rotates the hip, and 95% of the pain that I had in my good leg, b/c the hip was incorrectly rotated, is gone.   

I know I have a long way to go for rehab.  I plan to take it easy for at least 6 months, maybe a year.  But I have so much optimism now that I didn't have just a week ago.  For the record, I had the following procedure:

Left Hip Resurfacing
Anterior Lateral Incision
~ 7" Incision
Stryker Cormet Prostesis
700rad(H2O) of x-ray exposure post surgery to inhibit "over-healing" of bone growth
Age 36
bone on bone
I also had a what looked like 3 or 4 ping pong ball sized masses of bone growth around the joint that had to be taken out by Dr. Mont prior to the resurfacing.
General anesthesia

Dr. Mont's team was great and the staff at Baltimore Sinai were wonderful. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:28:51 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear your recovery is going well.

Many people have the same worry about the uncertainty of having the surgery prior to resurfacing and the realization of how great it is after surgery.

Take it easy and you will be enjoying that new hip more and more.  Glad you can see the end of the tunnel.  Remember there are ups and downs, but you are heading for a painfree, active life.  You will have a fun summer.

Keep in touch.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

saa115

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:42:17 PM »
Hi all.  I'm 7 days post op and we had a slight scare last night.  I was washing up and having my wife replace my bandages and started to get light headed.  While sitting down waiting for my wife to run to the other room and get a glass of water, I passed out, slide off the chair onto the floor.  Of course, my wife was terrified and I was concerned I did damage to the surgical area and HR.  

Well, it is the morning and my hip and incision feel fine* (i.e., just as they did yesterday).  I've spoken with the doctor's office and suggested I get an x-ray to be safe and speak with my primary care physician to make sure everything is ok.  I had my blood press checked on monday by an in home nurse and it was normal.  Yesterday was my first day of full PT, plus I took a walk outside just to the mail box, and had been standing for some time washing and changing my bandage right before fainting.  

I suspect all is fine and I just was standing too long after a long day.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks.

[follow up:  I just had PT and, at least according to the therapist, everything looks fine.  I'm definitely getting an x-ray to document it, but I'm feeling positive again =) ]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:23:18 PM by saa115 »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
We all wish you the best.  Normally if you did damage, you would have a GREAT deal of pain.  Your x-ray will put your mind at ease.

Take it easy.  We will wait to read some more updates as you progress.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:56:13 AM »
"WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE saa115"

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster