+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question on hiking as a Bi-Lat  (Read 2938 times)

powderhippy

Question on hiking as a Bi-Lat
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
Gotta question concerning hiking and exploring with 2 resurfed hips. Getting my right hip done in June by Dr. Gross. Had my Left one done by him 3 1/2 years ago.. Everything has gone well with my resurfed hip with skiing, mtn. biking, and all the other great things to do in the outdoors. The question I have is when I've been hiking and bouldering around the canyons, whenever I've had to jump down anything of substance, I've landed on my natural hip. I know these babies can take some good abuse, but was just wondering if anyone has experienced ( I know its a mental thing) these things as a bi-lat...!  Sliding down on my butt or belly is an option. LOL   Thanx for any response........Shelly
                                                              Dr. Gross
                                                              Left hip 9/6/06
                                                              Right hip 6/10?
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

wayne-0

Re: Question on hiking as a Bi-Lat
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »
Hey Shelly,
I have both hips resurfaced and I've been hiking a little here and there and have had no problems jumping down from rock to rock or whatever I may land on. I started testing the waters on smaller hops or jump downs and have now jumped down a good 5 or 6 feet. I still try to land as softly as possible. I have also been jumping on the trampoline lately with absolutely no pain or problems. I don't know if it such a wise thing to do but it feels so good to be out playing with the kids I keep doing it. I also have been windsurfing again post op and I have been doing some fairly big jumps and have had no problems there as well. Good luck and test the waters slowly after your 2nd hip is done.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

powderhippy

Re: Question on hiking as a Bi-Lat
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »
Thanx Wayne for the insight. I ski with a couple of Bi-Lats but they don't hike and boulder like I do. I'll "test" the waters slowly and I'm sure will soon forget about it like I do my Left one. Even though we've been through this before, I know the mental side must be healed as well. Your input is MUCH appreciated.  But can't wait to put that pack on and get to the high mtn. tops once again as the end of last summer I knew the Right hip was giving me trouble and the hiking was more work then the act of joy. Been glad to get another good ski season this winter that I didn't expect to do.
Damn, this getting old is for the birds.....LOL   Enjoy that windsurfing. Great sport.   Best my friend, Shelly
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat