+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain while at rest  (Read 1701 times)

tcp

Pain while at rest
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:03 AM »
Hi all,

I'm three weeks post surgery. Started walking without cane at two weeks.  Off all pain meds except ibuprofen.  Things going well. 

Only issue is thigh and IT band area pain after remaining in one position.  Moving around helps tremendously. Most bothersome is sleeping.  Need to get up and walk four or five times a night.  Normal?

Thanks.

moe

Re: Pain while at rest
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:08:48 PM »
Stiffness at three weeks after being in one position for a while is normal. I went through the same thing, keep moving, it get's better. Good luck!
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:20:33 PM »
Stiffness, soreness is normal, sharp stabbing pain can be an indication that something is not right.

Startup stiffness sometimes lasts for up to a year.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »
Hi TCP

Welcome to Hip Talk.

You are still very early in your recovery.  If you are still limping at all, you should still use your cane.  YOu did not mention whether you are limping.  It is not all based on pain as to whether you should still have a walking aid.  If you still limp and don't use the extra help, it can slow down your recovery.  It might be the cause of your pain - I don't know for sure since I am not a doctor, just listening to what your are saying.

Most people will still have a lot of stiffness for many weeks to months.  Very normal.  YOur body has been cut open and your hip resurfaced with metal.  You can't rush your recovery - it is up to your body.  Eveyrone's recovery time is different.

Sleeping is always a problem for most people.  Some people use some meds to sleep, some use recliner chairs and others just move around a lot.  A big pile of pillows under your legs in bed help.  You need to keep your legs high.  A recliner also helps.

If your pain continues - maybe you need stronger pain meds and  you should mention it to your doctor.  It does take time to heal from surgery. Even though you feel pretty well, they body is doing a lot of work to heal.  It just takes time.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

tcp

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:46 AM »
Thanks for the words of support and comfort, as well your website has been very helpful. 

No limping.  As you mentioned probably just healing.  I believe the pain at rest is due to swelling that occurs as quick as 15 minutes after lying down, sitting down, remaining in one position...It has gotten better in the past few days as I move into my fourth week, it is now not as severe and not as often. Regardless, it's nice that all I have to do is move around a little and the pain goes away, just a hassle trying to get good nights sleep.

Something no one has mentioned on your site, or I haven't come across is bruising.  After initial surgery the entire back of my thigh was covered with a black and purple hematoma.  It lasted during the first ten days and is now completely gone.  I may have been released too early from the hospital.  I spent one night in the hospital and was released, could walk and demonstrate stair proficiency with a cane.  Then a two hour drive home which could have added to the bruising.

Anyway, on the mend.  Take care.

TCP

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »
Hi TCP

Burising happens in some patients and not in others.  I am not a doctor, but my understanding is that most bruising is from the surgical technique and how they dislocate the leg.  What was involved.  Some very muscular men are diffiuclt to disslocate.

I was with 7 others in Belgium and none of us had any bruising.  We did not have any significant swelling either.  Dr. De Smet said it was due to his surgical approach and skill.  It is very similar to most De Smet patients.  The doctors do a lot of maneuvering around under the skin and in the joint area.  A lot depends on their methods.  Only one lady in our group ended up with swelling after she walked way too much when we were out sight seeing.  She then swelled up and had to use ice for a few days and keep her leg up.  So too much walking after surgery can also cause swelling, but I don't believe bruising.  That is caused during surgery according to my understanding.

Never the less, taking it easy and icing if swelling occurs is a good idea.  Listen to your body.  It will tell you quickly if you are doing too much.

Most people with burising have it dissapear in a short time.  If you ever get some strange looking big red splotches that are hot - that could be a blood clot or infection.  Anything really unusual that is very red or hot or painful should be looked at by the ER or doctor. Just a note to remind people that blood clots and infections have occured - but very seldom.  If you ever have questions about sharp or bad pain or problems, never hesitate to contact your doctor.  If it is a weekend and it is severe - go to the ER. 

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat