+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR Surgery Questions?  (Read 2584 times)

Kristi

BHR Surgery Questions?
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »
I am currently scheduled for a BHR on March 23rd with Dr. Hubley in Daphne, AL. I am extremely nervous about the procedure. I was wondering what is the possibility of a blood transfusion

I was able to donate one unit of blood and that is all because of the time frame of the surgery.  

Also my doctor mentioned he would have to release a muscle / tendon? I was not for sure about this. I was wondering do all resurfacing procedures require this?  

What about anyone's experience on driving afterwards with a Right BHR?

What about the incision- I think he said a 6-8 inch.

I have really learned alot from the website. I,  like many are silent participants but do appreciate the dialogue.

Kristi
Bay Minette
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:22:40 PM by Kristi »

DonC

Re: BHR Surgery Questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:38:21 AM »
Did you check to see how many re-surfacings Dr. Hubley has done? Is he the most experienced you could find? Success of the operation is directly linked to experience.

I did not give blood nor did I recieve any.

8" incision on my buttock. Incision was glued shut with no stiches or staples. I took a shower 2 days after surgery with a water proof bandage.

I believe all resurfacings require some muscle/tendon releasing. This remains sore for a while and is probably the slowest part of recovery. Be careful driving as the muscle control of your right leg will be compromised for several weeks after surgery. I would not rush it, especially if you drive a Toyota. (just kidding) :-)

It's much easier than I ever expected and am now walking hands free at 14 weeks. Played golf for the first time last saturday.

Be happy your able to get a new hip and focus on recovery. The surgery feels like it's over in a couple of minutes and you'll be amazed how big the improvement will be in a couple of weeks.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Don C

Dr. Gross
Biomet un-cemmented

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
Hi

Each surgeon's post op recovery protocols are different.  Most would not let you drive for a number of weeks with a right side hip resurfacing.  If the doctor lets you drive and you get in an accident - he is liable for allowing you to do so when you don't have control over your leg.  You are not able to control your leg very well for a number of weeks.  Each person varies.  You need to ask your surgeon that question.  Do not drive without his approval.  You could end up in an accident and big time problems by driving while your leg is not working properly.  You need control and you won't have it until your body does some healing.

Again, each surgoen uses the size of incision he requires to do the job properly.  I have a large incision almost 10 inches because Dr. De Smet who has done over 3000 hip resurfacings wants to get in and out as quickly as possible. He does his surgeries in about 45 minutes normally.  The less time you are under anasthesia, the better for your body.  De Smet patients don't need blood for one hip.  Each surgeon is different.  Each sirgepm even does their surgeries a bit differently.  So you have to discuss how your surgeon does your surgery.  It takes time to heal because the doctor has to cut deep into your hip and place the new components. Each person has their own timeline to heal.  Depending on the surgical skill and your body it could take several weeks to amny months to feel better.  There is no way to tell.

I used one crutch for 3-4 weeks and only took Advil after leaving the hospital. Walked over a mile a day at 10 days post op.  Was sight seeing 5 days post op in Beligum. All 8 of us that were together had the same outcome.  Each surgeon has different surgical methods and each persons body is different. 

The best advice I can give is to take it easy and listen to what YOUR doctor tells you.  You can read everyone's story, but ultimately, you surgeon is responsible for your recovery.  Be patient as you heal and don't push too hard in the begining.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vt waddler

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »
Kristi
"Also my doctor mentioned he would have to release a muscle / tendon? I was not for sure about this. I was wondering do all resurfacing procedures require this?" I believe the tendon your was speaking about is the piriformis tendon. This was the approach my doc used.

Best of luck..;^)

saa115

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »
Kristi,

I am a 36yr old male and I just had the hip resurfacing with Dr. Mont 10 days ago and I too had reservations.  Much of it was based on the uncertainty of the coming surgery.  If i knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have been nervous at all.  I'm up walking easily on crutches and have taken only a handful of tylenol since coming home from the hospital.  I have almost no pain since coming home from the hospital on day 4.   

A lot of people here report they are back up doing x, y and z after a few weeks.  I'm a bit more conservative and plan on taking it very slowly.  The great news is ALL of the pre-op arthritic pain is gone and much of the range of motion is back.  My surgeon, Dr. Mont in Baltimore who has performed > 2000 hip resurfacings, also released some tendons and made a 7" incision.   Most people here report some muscle pain and swelling/bruising in the weeks after surgery.  I think that is normal.  You should plan on having someone to help you in the several weeks after surgery.

I'll rephrase some good advice someone gave to me...You've done the research to find a surgeon you are comfortable with, to get the surgery you need b/c of hip pain you have been living with for X amount of time; relax and know that soon you'll be pain free back playing with your kids and no longer constantly thinking about your hip.  I wish you all the best.  Cheers.  -Scott

muzza

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »
My surgeon gives the driving all clear six weeks after HR surgery, provided all is well.  I researched the situation with my insurance company's policy documents and couldn't find any definitive statement or time period given - all a bit vague. Although I felt I could have driven safely before the six weeks, I stuck to the surgeon's rule assuming his OK would be gospel for the insurance company.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:21:37 PM by muzza »

medgerton

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 12:53:37 AM »
I did not require any blood during my HR surgery. But I developed a staph infection that required two additional clean out surgeries and by the last surgery my hematocrit level was going low so I required extra blood during surgery. That was 5 months ago. I am fine now. I have donated blood regularly in the past few years. They are pretty careful to protect the blood supply. Interestingly enough, I cannot donate blood for one year because of the transfusion.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat