+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ASR Withdrawl Information by Dr. Bose  (Read 6092 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
ASR Withdrawl Information by Dr. Bose
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
Hi Pat,

Thanks for asking me.

I have to start by saying that I have never had any issues with the ASR devise at all. I was very surprised about 6 months ago when the issue of ASR withdrawal first surfaced.

There is no doubt that the safety margin for the ASR is lower than other resurfacing systems like the BHR due to a 'low arc of cover'- described by Dr. Desmet. This is because the rim of the cup has become 'non -articular' to accommodate the cup holder.

Hence the failure rate is higher than the BHR.

That said, I have not had a single failure with the ASR or the ASR with XL head combination over the last 4 years ( over 300 cases)

The cups coming loose is certainly not true as I have implanted ASR cups in the most complex of cases. I am 100% confident that it is a technical issue.

It has proven to be an excellent tool in my hands and in dysplasia patients ( CROWE 3)-  the s-rom with a ASR cup combination that  is hard to beat.

The ASR reamers are very poor and not matched to the ASR cups. I have routinely used BHR or equivalent reamers for the ASR cups for 3 yrs since the time noticed the mismatch between the reamers and cup size for the ASR

The ASR has been excellent tool to provide an anatomical metal on metal articulation in small patients. I am very confident that it will work well if installed correctly. I will surely miss the ASR cup for small made patients if it is withdrawn completely.

with best regards
vijay bose
chennai
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:26:22 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

resurface

Re: ASR Withdrawl Information by Dr. Bose
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
I would stay away from this device.  Why would anyone have this implanted? There are better choices available. Makes no sense regardless of experience from a single surgeon.

DePuy officials say that ASR hip implant failures are most likely to occur in patients of smaller stature, including women and individuals with weak bones. The FDA has received complaints from about 300 recipients since 2008, most of whom had to undergo another round of hip surgery to replace the defective ASR hip implants.  per aboutlawsuits.com.  This contradicts Dr. Bosse's experience.

Check out NYTimes article in Health Section dated March 9, 2010.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 05:03:20 PM »
Hi Resurface

I don't think you quite understood - there is no way anyone needs to stay away from this device - it is no longer available.  I have the notice posted.   http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1726.msg10925#msg10925

The reason I have taken time to get some statments from surgeons is that I don't want the people that had an ASR implanted to sit and worry about it.  When the ASR was implanted by the top surgeons, there were very few problems.  The information I have read explains that it was diffiuclt to place the acetabular cup properly, but if done so by a really expeirnced surgeon - there were no problems.

I feel information about the ASR is important for current ASR patients to read so they don't worry.

Again, it is not my intention to promote the ASR since it is not available any longer worldwide.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:55:54 PM »
Again... comes down to what is said over and over again, find the most experience surgeon to do your hip surgery.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

wayne-0

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
All I know is that I have ASR on both sides for 16 months now and I have not had one problem at all. In fact I lead a very very active lifestyle and feel very fortunate to have had a great surgeon for my operation.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat