+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Uncemented Hip Resurfacing Devices?  (Read 2161 times)

newfiemom

Uncemented Hip Resurfacing Devices?
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:11:42 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the group. I am 43 and have OA slowly but steadily advancing OA in both hips. I am a patient of Dr. Michael Mont's in Baltimore. I have a left total knee due to a high school athletic injury and I am allergic to the polyethylene in that prosthesis. I am also allergic to bone cement which thankfully I do not have! We think that my allergy to the poly has caused an autoimmune response causing my body to attack both of my hip joints. Luckily I am still very active in spite of my OA. I work out 7 days a week on the elliptical trainer and 3 days a week with weights to keep my muscles strong. My OA is getting worse though.

My question is; are there hip resurfacing devices that do not use cement? I intended to ask Dr. Mont when I saw him in October but forgot. I am very interesting in resurfacing because I think it is a better option for us "younger" hip patients.

Thanks in advance for the information and I am glad to be a part of the group!!!

To Good Hip Health,
Kim

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Uncemented Hip Resurfacing Devices?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:44:52 PM »
Hi Kim

Welcome to Hip Talk.

As far as I know there is only one surgeon in the US doing cementless and that is Dr. Gross in SC.  He is still doing both cemented and cementless and is giving his patients the option of choosing.

The long term statistics are still all about cemented caps and it is pretty good.

Personally, I have found that you normally don't want to be the first in anything experimental.  There are people wanting the cementless, but there is no track record for it yet.  The old THR stats don't apply to hip resurfacing.  As my doctor, De Smet says,  the trick is knowing how much to use and how to apply the bone cement. That is what gives the great results.  Again, that only happens after you have done hundreds and thousands of hip resurfacings.

The same thing with acetabulum cups.  A surgeon has to place the cup properly.  Slipped cups are surgeon error.  There have been about 10 slipped cups recently with people using the newer, inexperienced hip reusrfacing surgeons.  They doctors might have done thousands of THRs, but that experience does not apply to hip resurfacing.

Vicky watched experienced doctors trying to place acetabular cups at the conference.  Many had a very difficult time doing so, yet have done many THRs.  Hip Resurfacing is a separate skill.

Good Luck and keep in touch.  We always want to know how people are doing and what they have decided is the best path for them to follow for hip resurfacing.

Pat
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:27:56 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

newfiemom

Re: Uncemented Hip Resurfacing Devices?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and information Pat. Maybe by the time I have to do something we will have more good data about cementless resurfacing devices. Given the reaction i had to the poly in my knee I don't think I am brave enough to risk cement which we know I am highly allergic to as well.

Thanks Again,
Kim

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM