+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Clicking at 6 days post op  (Read 1628 times)

rickg

Clicking at 6 days post op
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »
6 days post op. Had LBHR by Dr Stocks in Houston. Used this web site and recommendations to select him. PT signed me off second morning. Knew most of the exercises and all the limitations prior to going in. (Thanks Again) Doing the exercises at home and started to get the "clicking" last night. Scared the **** out of me. Thought it was a loose cup. But in reading here, with no pain and just the "sensation"...yes just ligaments. I read others having to go back in. If it has to be done...go. But not on my recovery "to do list".  So back to my routine. Meds...tried to back off some, back to normal level. Exercise..PT instructed, same as Dr McMinn's. Asked for cold pack  and supplier got script for it from Dr Stocks and UHC paid for a vital wrap with hip wrap. Ice down after exercise and raise leg in recliner. Can live with the clicks with no pain.   :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:04:33 AM by Pat Walter »
LBHR March 10, 2010 Dr. Stocks Houston,TX

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Clicking at 6 days post op
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »
Hi Rick

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I gave you your own topic since you are a new Surface Hippy.

You will find all kinds of things happening as you heal.  Unless the pain is so bad you can't stand it, it is normal to have all kinds of strange things happen as you heal.  The clicking or clunking is very normal.  I had my hip clunk a lot. Dr. De Smet said it was my loose muscles that would take time to heal and get strong again.  I still get it a bit now and then depending on how I move and am 4 years post op.  It does feel strange in the begining and can happen quite often.

You just had major surgery and your body will take some time to heal.  If you have a loose cup or femur neck fracture - it will hurt so bad you would be heading to the ER. 

Remember to listen to your body.  If it hurts or you get pain after, back off.  YOu will have plenty of time to push yourself and get back into shape after you have healed.  It takes a long time to heal.  6 months before you are back to most normal activities and a full year for complete healing.  You will be active and walking soon, but be conservative.  Pushing with agressive PT will not make you heal faster.  It can actually set you back.  Some people don't even do extra PT after leaving the hospital, all they do is walk, walk and walk.  That is what many surgeons recommend.

So stay in touch and don't worry.  Give yourself time to heal and enjoy the time off.  Spend it dreaming of what you are going to do this summer!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »
Rick,

Welcome to the world of surface hippies, you sound like you really want to get going on rehab, like Pat said, take it easy, relax, 6 days post-op is REALLY early on in a recovery.

Clicking, popping and the ocassional sucking feeling is all normal unless you experience shooting pain with it.

If you can, walking is one of the best rehab excercises, also if you can get into a pool do so, it's great excercise for the hip.

Chuck

6 days post op. Had LBHR by Dr Stocks in Houston. Used this web site and recommendations to select him. PT signed me off second morning. Knew most of the exercises and all the limitations prior to going in. (Thanks Again) Doing the exercises at home and started to get the "clicking" last night. Scared the **** out of me. Thought it was a loose cup. But in reading here, with no pain and just the "sensation"...yes just ligaments. I read others having to go back in. If it has to be done...go. But not on my recovery "to do list".  So back to my routine. Meds...tried to back off some, back to normal level. Exercise..PT instructed, same as Dr McMinn's. Asked for cold pack  and supplier got script for it from Dr Stocks and UHC paid for a vital wrap with hip wrap. Ice down after exercise and raise leg in recliner. Can live with the clicks with no pain.   :)
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

rickg

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »
Thanks Pat and OBX for the feedback. New territory here and help is always welcome. I'm one of those busy guys, Marine pilot and now airline pilot. Love to do outside house work and even keep the wife happy inside with laundry, cleaning and shopping..don't tell any of my Marine friends. So only so long to spend in the recliner but have had my body to tell me to slow down already. Listening closely. Dreaming and planning of 3 weeks "down under" in Oct/Nov. But first...the taxes...ahhh say it ain't so. 

Rick G
LBHR 3/10/10
Dr. Stocks
LBHR March 10, 2010 Dr. Stocks Houston,TX

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
Rick,

So you're confirming to me that you're a type A    LOL   ;D

Good luck to you...

Chuck
Chuck