+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mobility issues 1 year post op  (Read 2572 times)

mstar

Mobility issues 1 year post op
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:47:29 PM »
Hi,

I had my BHR on May 27/09. It is great to not have to take any meds for pain since last June, but I still have trouble putting on my right sock and shoe. I have to sit on the stairs and bring my foot to the step below my butt and then I can do it, other than that I can't reach my foot. I don't have this problem with my un-oprerated side. I also cannot cross my right leg over my left. To wash my right foot I have to lift it behind me and reach it that way, in front it is very difficult.
I have been in PT since September 09 to try to increase mobility in the hip, but it is like baby steps.
Has anyone had similar problems almost one year after surgery, that have or have not improved? I am starting to feel a little disheartened over this whole ordeal. I have also started having problems eith my back.

D mstar

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Mobility issues 1 year post op
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
Hi

There have been some people that have not completely recovered at 1 year post op.  Normally it is because their hip problems were very bad before surgery.  It takes the body a long time to heal when it has not worked properly for a long time. 

I know of people that took 2 years to heal.  I know of a lady that posts on the other group that had a fused hip and she is still getting more motion from her hip at, I think, 7 years post op.  It has been a long time and she recently posted that she is still improving.

So don't feel you are alone. Most people don't take that long, but some do.  We are all different and all had different problems going into surgery.

Have you done any water therapy - water walking?  Many people find it very helpful even though they had other PT.  Here is a page with what I did and some others  http://www.surfacehippy.info/ptarticles.php 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jed

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:17:13 AM »
I can empathise with your frustration. I had my right hip done last February (an infamous ASR). It was wonderful for 9 months then, after carrying smething very heavy, I hurt it and it has never settled down. For mt it seems (I hope) to be just a chronic muscle issue and it is so depressing when you wake up in the morning and only have pain, frustration and disappointment to look forward to. However, you have to hang in there, try to be optimistic. Have you tried massage therapy, steaming hot baths to loosen things up, swimming, a good single malt? When one thing does not work, try something else. Sometimes light weight training exercises, by pumping blood around the soft tissues, can begin to free things up. But dont overdo things (I know I should follow my own advice!) and don't expect too much.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:13:46 AM »
I am still gaining rom after 18 months. And if I skip the stretching and exercises for a couple weeks it seems like I start losing ground.  I like to do stretching and some strengthening exercises in a jacuzzi before I go to bed.  You hit the nail on the head when you said baby steps, progress for me has come very slow with lots of peaks and valleys. Sometimes it seems like a month will pass with no progress and then lo and behold I'll gain a 1/4" or so.  Sorry about your back pain, that is worse than hip pain, I hope that trend ends soon for you.  Good luck and stay focused, progress is still progress, even if it's not as quick as you'd like. Don't know if that helps or not but at least you know your not alone, it can't be peaches and cream for everyone right ?   Remember where you were a year ago and try to stay positive 8)

stephen

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:03:36 AM »
I just had my BHR three weeks ago and I too have ROM problems. Little by little I am gaining on my ROM, but it will be a long time till I can get my tendons to stretch out. My PT has me doing some exercises to get my muscles stronger and to get them to stretch, but they can only do so much. My doctor want me to get more agressive against my tight tendons and have someone help me to get it to really stretch. It hurts with that much pressure applied, but once released it feels so much better

dw

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »
I just had my BHR three weeks ago and I too have ROM problems

you SHOULD have ROM issues - esp at three weeks! Be careful - you're still very much at risk for dislocation and neck fracture.

saa115

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »
My doctor want me to get more aggressive against my tight tendons and have someone help me to get it to really stretch. It hurts with that much pressure applied, but once released it feels so much better
Be careful with all that stretching at just 3 weeks.  I'll be at 3 weeks tomorrow and I still of ROM restrictions from Dr. Mont that include nothing past 90degress (between torso and operated leg).  In fact, those restrictions are in place until 5 weeks.  Based on how I feel, I could start stretching, but there's a reason Mont has these restrictions in place.  I know many doctors differ on protocol, but just be careful.  You don't want to suffer a setback because you are anxious to see more progress.  Good luck!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat