+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inversion table Use  (Read 3178 times)

vshumate

Inversion table Use
« on: March 19, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »
Hello all, I am almost 1 year post op and did great.  Had the Left hip done in June.  Before having the surgery, I would use an inversion table and felt good on my back.  I am wondering if there are any caution I should be concerned about.  I am trying to relieve some back pain- the new hip is great.  As when I started, I am using the table at a slight angle, then work up slowly to increase the angle.  I checked the internet and says caution with total hip but "partial" hip is up to doctor/therapists. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Inversion table Use
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:21:27 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I gave you your own topic since it is an interesting one.

The only safe answer to your question will not be from the members here - but from your own surgoen.  Only he/she knows your special problems and will know if you can use the in inversion table.  I would guess that you should be able to, but you are not able to give us your full medical background and surgery info and if we had it - we are not doctors.

ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry when it comes to a hip resurfacing or THR.  No one wants a revision due to problems from hip resurfacing. 

I use to get the Cox technique which is a version of traction for my back.  THe chiropractor and I have been very careful doing that since my resurfacing.  It was 4 years ago and even now he is very gentle and careful.  The last thing I want is problems with my BHR.

So be on the safe side and ask your surgeon.  You would not want anything to happen if anything was unusal or you had an unusual cup placement for some reason.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
Aloha,

I have hanging boots and I used them before the surgery in hopes of that helping, and I have used it 2-3 times since surgery.  The table is a lot safer, and as long as your muscles are all good and strong, you should enjoy hanging.  Moderation to start.

Eric

vshumate

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I was never to the angle on my table as in hanging boots before the surgery- and have started out at a very slight angle- and as before the surgery only for about 10- 15 minutes- working up to 30 minutes.  Before calling the surgeon thought I would get input from this great site.  Much great information.  I will call the surgeon and let  you all know what he says! 

halfdone

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
I have used one regularly on and off since surgery (LBHR) but started only after a full year post-surgery in which I was very active with PT exercise and by then had a strong hip.  I agree with Eric about moderation.  I don't go to a full vertical incline and only use it for a few minutes.  (I only did a few minutes at a time before surgery also.)  I'm slow and careful in use.  Good idea to check with your surgeon!

vshumate

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »
Called surgeon and said he has no problem with using table since so close to 1 year.  So, good to know and good to share!  Thanks

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat