+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Revision due to infection from cement  (Read 3301 times)

Sarsabu

Revision due to infection from cement
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:05:32 AM »
I had a BHR in March 2008, male, age 44. I had problems from the start. I thought I was a slow healer and it would eventually work itself out. The problem got worse. My surgeon sent me for a second opinion. This was not until August 2009. I then had a full set of tests including bone scan. I had a THR on 23 November 2009.
The upper and lower parts of the BH were loose. Failure of the cement due to infection is one theory for the failure. At times the pain was almost unbearable.
When I woke after the revision the pain was gone. It still is and I am leading a normal life again. I did 9 holes on Tuesday!
I know of plenty people who have had resurfacing which has been a success. Mine certainly was not. I feel that I should have had the revison earlier. In my case people presumed it was my fault that it had failed. That was hard to take. The second surgeon saw the problem immediately on reviewing my post-op X-ray. All's well that ends well.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Revision due to infection from cement
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 07:42:47 AM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Thank You for posting your story.  I have not heard of many problems due to cement, but I know that it can be a problem from using too much, too little or improperly placing the cement. I have heard Dr. De Smet and several other surgeon mention how important the useage of the cement is.

I am glad you finally had a revision and are now getting on with a pain free life.  Do you know if you received a MOM  metal on metal THR or a ceramic on ceramic or small ball plastic/metal THR?  Just interested. 

You are correct that most resurfacings are a sucess, but there have been a small number of people with problems.  Fortunately, almost everyone has had a sucessful THR.

Thanks again for posting.  Who did your surgery?  Who did your revision?

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

fedup

Re: Revision due to infection from cement
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:08:51 PM »
I wonder if this was an immune reaction to the cement. This is rare but has been recorded, and there are skin tests that can look for sensitivity to the components of the bone cement. An infection wouldn't be due to cement, and would involve a complicated revision. The pathology done at the revision should have been able to differentiate a reaction to metal vs cement. Very interesting. I did so much research on metal and cement sensitivity.....

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat