+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 days post op: very tight upper quad  (Read 2916 times)

dougmint

6 days post op: very tight upper quad
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:20 PM »
Hello,  I had the BHR put in my right hip on 3/23.  I am 41 year old male, and a competitive cyclist.  Dr. was Creg Carpenter out of Chelsea, MI.  The incision is 8 inches long, and he went in from the side (latererly). S&N device.   I was in the hospital for 3 days, and stopped pain pills (except tylenol) when I came home.  Here are the major issues I've been struggling with:

* constipation - had a BM this morning, which was my 5th in 6 days.  Normal for me is 2-3 per day, so hopefully I've got this back under control

* heartburn - have had this for 3 days.  Today seems a bit better.  Trying Zantec to see if that helps

* lack of sleep - the above 2 items, plus only sleeping on back has prevented me from getting back into a normal sleep schedule.

* very tight, stiff, sore upper quad.  Not sure why this would be.  It's worse than were the incision is.  Could it be from the strain of moving my leg in weird positions to put in the device?  It is very difficult for me to walk because of the pain and stiffness in the quad in this area.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thank you, Doug

dmather

Re: 6 days post op: very tight upper quad
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »
Hi Doug,

Welcome to becoming a Surface Hippy!

I had my resurfacing on 3/17/2010 and I believe I can attest to each symptom you listed, and I believe each was listed as possible or even highly likely.

Movement helps with the tightness but the results are usually a little at a time.

As far as constipation, have had some of that but today has actually made up for it. (I'm getting A LOT of movement getting to the bathroom!)

I was having a lot of heartburn but it has gone away mostly.

I am getting better with sleep but still up 2 or 3 times a night cause I can't move freely. Some nights I sleep better in a recliner and it is slowly getting better.

This is some serious surgery so try to be patient, keep working at it with moderation and my brief experience is that it keeps getting better!

Dale RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/2010

stephen

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
I got my BLHR March 2nd 2010. I too have a very tight quad but I have been told it is because ithas to relearn how to help me walk again. For 10 years I had a modified stride which kept these little muscle shut off. Now they are awake and don't now quite what to do to walk normal. They hurt and are real tight, but through a lot of stretching, I am slowly loosening up.

Remember to ice after working your legs out and stretching

hwolke

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:36 PM »
Hi there!

I had resurfacing 6.5 weeks ago, and I totally understand about the tight upper quad. I was also told that the muscles really need to relearn what they are supposed to do (iow, it'll get better). Perhaps the best/most amusing thing I was told was by the nurse in the hospital who said, "Your muscles don't know that the surgery was a well-planned, well-thought out procedure. As far as they know, you were just mauled by a saber-toothed tiger." :D

Good luck with your recovery!

moe

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:31:03 PM »
Hi Doug, welcome to the club. This is major surgery, you are having normal reactions, it was 4-5 days before I could go once. Heartburn is probably a reaction to anesthesia and/or meds. Disrupted sleep is normal, I bought a LaFuma recliner online and slept in that for 2 weeks, good investment. Sore quad, they dislocated your hip and took power tools and a hammer to your body. Be patient and these issues will work themselves out. I'm 57 and a former racer myself. You may also know me as "Moementum" on mtbr.  ;D  Just for some perspective it is 8.5 months for me and I am back to road and mtb and feel better than I have in years, and it keeps getting better every week. Be wary of aggressive pt, some of them are clueless and can really mess up your surgery. Hang in there! moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

roosevelt heights

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
Moe,

I'm gonna have bi-lat on 4/5, approx 8 weeks after the initial procedure. Is the La Fuma sturdy enough to get in and out of, it looks pretty low...while in this chair can you raise your "toes above your nose" for elevation?

moe

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:58:42 AM »
Moe,

I'm gonna have bi-lat on 4/5, approx 8 weeks after the initial procedure. Is the La Fuma sturdy enough to get in and out of, it looks pretty low...while in this chair can you raise your "toes above your nose" for elevation?

RH, It is very sturdy, with wood arms, toes are about level with the nose. It takes a little practice getting in and out at first but was not a problem, even with both done at once. I kept my crutches right on the side. It is the LaFuma Mellow indoor model, although it easily folds up and can be brought outside. I never had a recliner before, now I use it all the time.

Good Luck with your second procedure! moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

dougmint

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »
10 days post op now.  Saw my surgeon today, and he said I had the least swelling of any patient he's had that is on Lovenox.  So that was positive.  I am walking on one crutch now.  Dr. also said I can go to a pool to do water therapy, I can lift weights, ride a stationary bike, basically whatever I want as long as I don't violate the restrictions or do something that hurts.  So I'm feeling really positive, but I know I've got a long haul to go.  He said I might be able to tie my shoe in 9-10 months.  Lot's of walking this morning, so I am going to go lay down and ice up the leg.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear