+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: a nervous wreck!  (Read 7355 times)

sharleen

a nervous wreck!
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »
I was suddenly called by my surgeon to say that he now had a space near the end of April to take me in for BH surgery. I had previously been on a wait list. I am absolutely terrified as I have never had any form of sugery before and thought that I had a bit more time to "prepare" myself. Consequently my blood pressure has sky rocketed. I quit smoking several weeks ago in anticipation of the surgery and am wondering if the anxst of quitting may be causing this although I know that it should be doing the opposite. My GP says that the BP is borderline. I pressume that they wont do the surgery unless it goes down. Are there any clues on how to do this without medication? I also really need to chill as I stupidly went on-line to find out all the downside things that can happen before and after the surgery and have now convinced myself that I wll at least get one or them. Paranoid I know...I also need to know how long before surgery I have to stop taking my daily aspirin and anti inflammatory. One more thing, my husband has to be away on business during this time and I am wondering how long I need someone with me 24/7 once I get home from the hospital.
Thank you so much to anyone who can help me!
Sharleen

Tekka

Re: a nervous wreck!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »
Hi Sharleen,

Who is your surgeon.

All the concerns you have were very similar to the way I was feeling, I convinced myself that I could wait another twelve months and I nearly cancelled, but my wife said she could not stand anymore sleepless nights with me constantly moving around in bed.

I also had a cancellation and on reflection it was a good thing, I knew I could not carry on with the constant pain.

Try to relax and maybe your bp will improve, you will need help when you return home !!!

Good luck,

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:41:09 PM »
Sharleen,

The biggest thing is to know that this surgery albeit invasive is being done to your hip joint, not any major organ of your body.  The surgery is done everyday, safely and with plenty of fantastic results. 

What you need to start thinking is in the terms of how good things are going to be post-op, read the stories on this website, most people have really great outcomes, my pain post-op was never worse than the worst pain that I had pre-op.

After I got home from surgery I could have been by myself 24/7, although we're all different.  Find a neighbor or relative to check in on you post-op, make sure you have meals pre-prepared, set your home up to make it easier for yourself, get an elevated toilet seat, now is the time to prepare.

You'll need to find out from your surgeon what his rules are in regard to your medicines pre-op, call or email them and they will let you know.

Most of all, stop worrying, the surgery is not that bad, I've had much worse.

Chuck

I was suddenly called by my surgeon to say that he now had a space near the end of April to take me in for BH surgery. I had previously been on a wait list. I am absolutely terrified as I have never had any form of sugery before and thought that I had a bit more time to "prepare" myself. Consequently my blood pressure has sky rocketed. I quit smoking several weeks ago in anticipation of the surgery and am wondering if the anxst of quitting may be causing this although I know that it should be doing the opposite. My GP says that the BP is borderline. I pressume that they wont do the surgery unless it goes down. Are there any clues on how to do this without medication? I also really need to chill as I stupidly went on-line to find out all the downside things that can happen before and after the surgery and have now convinced myself that I wll at least get one or them. Paranoid I know...I also need to know how long before surgery I have to stop taking my daily aspirin and anti inflammatory. One more thing, my husband has to be away on business during this time and I am wondering how long I need someone with me 24/7 once I get home from the hospital.
Thank you so much to anyone who can help me!
Sharleen
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

sharleen

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »
Thank you so much for your help and advice! This is really what I need to hear. I am having the surgery done in Bermuda where an English surgeon (apparently the inventor of the BH) comes 3 times a year to do us all. He does this in conjunction with one of our local (Oxford trained) orthopedic surgeons. So I know that I am in good hands...
many, many thanks!
S

Tekka

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:02:44 PM »
Sharleen,

This could be Mr McMinn, he started a non profit making organization called  "operation walk" in 2008 and he does this on a regular basis.

If it is Mr McMinn you are in very safe hands.

Keep us posted, best wishes.

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

sharleen

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »
Terry - Thanks once again for your response. Mr Derek McMinn and Mr Ronan Treacy set up together MMT to produce the BHR. so I've got the other half of this amazing duo! Don't worry you haven't got rid of me yet, I am sure that I'll have tons more questions before the 'Big" day!
S.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal