+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: scuba post surgery  (Read 1888 times)

JMB

scuba post surgery
« on: April 06, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »
I had my hip resurfaced in June 2009.   I have scuba dived for many years, and enjoyed my first post-surgical dive last month.  I had no problems while diving, (though some struggle to get back into the boat!) I happened to mention the dive  while chatting with a group of friends, which included a doctor, who is also a diver. He was horrified that I had dived at nine months post op. and said that air pockets behind the implant could have expanded as I came back up, loosening the implant.
He suggested I delay any further dives until at least 18 months, by which time, hopefully,  the bone will have grown into the spaces. Would be very interested to hear other people’s experiences.
JMB
BHR Right hip
Dr Schemitsch
June 2009

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: scuba post surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
Interesting thought about air pockets in back of the component.  Haven't heard that before, but haven't had many people scubba diving with their new hips.

I have watched them pound the acetabular cups in and would find it hard to believe very small pockets of air could push them lose - but I am not a doctor.  Always better to be safe.  Best to tell your surgeon what you are planing to do after surgery and ask when your future activities are safe.

Thanks for sharing your information.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:57:12 PM »
I would be surprised if the cup was not fully filled in with bone by 9 months post-op.

I would love to hear what the doctor says.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

JMB

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
Yes, I agree with Chuck that one would have expected the air pockets to be filling in by now. I'm also not sure of my surgeon-friend's logic, in that I would have thought any air pockets would surely have compressed on the way down and then returned to their normal size.
I will be seeing my proper surgeon for my 12 month check in June, so will ask him then and post his comments. In the meantime, I'll stick to snorkeling!
Thanks for the feedback
Jill

moe

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 05:33:39 PM »
I know this is a serious subject, but I had to check the date to be sure it wasn't April Fool's day!  ;)
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Gavin

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
Following my simultaneous bilateral BHR Dec 2007 I returned to scuba diving at around 3 months post op.  and have dived regularly since then.No problems have been encountered at all.My surgeon suggested that initially  tank and weight belt be put on and removed in the water, so as not to stress the joints with the extra weight.
I believe that the benefits of scuba diving,exercise and support, far outweigh any possible down sides.

Gavin

powderhippy

Re: scuba post surgery- no worry...
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
Hey All,
 Had my left hip resurfaced 3 1/2 years ago.  Been diving for over 20 years. Don't worry about the cap or femoral head  "blowing" off. Air behind the cup? How is it getting there? Bone does not have vascular or arterial functions that could carry that amount of "air" What kind of doctor told you that? A proctologist...?  Only kidding, I have a good friend who is in that field. But wouldn't want that guy who told you that as a dive buddy.
 I hope everyone who dives joins DAN. I called them before my surgery and they knew all about resurfacing. Fear not my diving friends. Enjoy the diving and that new hip....Life is good...   Best, Shelly
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal