+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Desk work immediately after surgery?  (Read 2930 times)

PaulUK

Desk work immediately after surgery?
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »
I am hoping to have my hip resurfaced in April or early May. Coincidentally I have been offered some freelance work starting in May. This would be stuff I could do at home on the Internet, plus some phone calls (I do market research).

Any opinions/experiences of whether this is something I should take on, or am I likely to find it too tiring in the first few weeks after the op? I am 63, but quite fit and active at present.

gazza

Re: Desk work immediately after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
Hi Paul
I was home alone after coming out of hospital; I filled my early days with researching my ancestry sat at my computer desk. I needed to stand up every ½ hr or so but no problems. In fact I preferred sitting on my swivel chair to the sofa. I also went for a couple of walks each day with my arm crutches (1/2 mile or so) to loosen up a bit.  I think taking on this work at home will help keep your mind active and be a good thing to do.  And being at home you can take an afternoon nap if you get tired.  I did for the 1st couple of weeks.
Best of luck with your surgery. Let us know how you get on when you can
Where are you in the UK.
Regards
Garry
LBHR 03 Nov 2009 Mr T.M. Abuzakuk  Derby, England

Margie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »
Hi Paul,
I was doing computer work at day 5. Like Paul said, just get up and walk around every once and a while. If you are going to sit at a desk be sure you have a comfortable chair with arm rests and a wide seat and is able to adjust up and down. I had thought I had mine adjusted properly and my in home physical therapist adjusted it better for me. I also did a lot of my computer work from my recliner. That way I could keep my feet up. Just remember don't overdo, if you get tired rest.
Good luck and stay in touch,
Margie
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

JMB

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
My experience was a little different.  I was certainly capable of physically sitting at the computer soon after surgery, (though I was more comfortable with my leg up in a recliner or similar.)  My problem was that my head seemed to be somewhere else for at least the first four weeks or so. I'm a university prof, so I was trying to write academic material, plus I had graduate students sending me theses to review etc. Frankly my brain didn't work in its usual way - at first I thought it was just the pain killers, but I was able to stop those within a week or two, yet the diminished brain power effects continued.  I would be hesitant about taking on responsible work that might put your later credibility at risk if the deadline would fall soon after surgery.
best wishes
JMB

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 03:50:43 PM »
A job sitting in a lazy boy with a laptop would probably work, this is all depending on whether or not you are on pain meds, if you're on pain meds your brain might not be up for it.

Everyone is different, I drove home about 4 or 5 hours post-op day 3, but when I was on pain meds I doubt I could have done much on the technical side of my job, I was tired for the first few weeks post-op.

Give it a try, take lots of walk breaks as has been suggested, I always felt better standing that I was sitting the first few weeks post-op.

Working from home is not impossible, but I think you are going to get really tire.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Bionic

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »
I felt remarkably lazy after my surgery and didn't want to do any mentally taxing work.  At first, it was the pain killers, but the problem persisted long after I stopped taking them.  I was very preoccupied with my recovery for several weeks after surgery and had a hard time focusing on much else.  This was my first surgery, and it was a big deal for me.

Then, at around 6 weeks post-op, I suddenly became quite bored with all my thoughts about surgery and  was ready to move on.

A more experienced or less worried patient than I might have had an easier time, but I definitely needed a while to decompress.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:47:18 PM by Bionic »
Right uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum
Feb. 11, 2009 with Dr. Thomas Gross and Lee Webb

PaulUK

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:49:20 AM »
Thank you all for your helpful replies. Based on these, I am now hopeful that I will be able to do the work (with suitable precautions) as it is fairly routine research - certainly not university-type material!

I now have a date for an op on 4th May at an NHS hospital near where I live in London, so looking forward to getting on with it.

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »
Everyone is different.  I was in good shape before the surgery and thought I could get back to my desk job 6 or 7 days after surgery.  I rarely miss work due to sickness or injury.  I went back on the 7th day and lasted about an hour and missed the next 2. 

I also found it difficult to concentrate for some time after the surgery.  I didn't start reading, which I love to due, until 2-1/2 week after surgery.   
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

midfieldcrisis

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:11:14 AM »
 I am a skinny 56 y.o. male soccer player. I was surgerized last Wednesday morning and started walking Friday. When I got home Friday 2 days after surgery I was walking  and doing flights of stairs at my house. On Saturday (3 days after surgery) I went to work for a couple of hours, then to the show with my wife. On Sunday (the 4th day out) I shopped all over Walmart and Bestbuy which are large stores. Last night - 4 days out there was no need for tylenol even. On the 5th and 6th day I worked all day at an office job mostly at my computer and I am going to work tomorrow. But I must admit I am a little tired. This may catch up to me in a couple of weeks I don't know. The fact is though you can work a few days after your surgery at an office job if you are getting good sleep unless you have some complications or are drugged out.

dmather

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »
Everybody's mileage will vary! There are many factors that are involved with the recovery process so you have to take things as they come. For example, I still have a left hip that needs resurfacing so my biggest issues are range of motion. Also keep in mind that the longer you dealt with limited mobility before the surgery could very well impact how well you're able to recover. Listen to your body and your surgeon as far as recovery goes.

Dale
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/2010
**LBHR Dr. Clarke 5/5/2010

JarheadTN

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »
I am new here and this is my first post/reply. I had my resurfacing done in Nashville on 4/26/10 and am so far very pleased.  I have been doing computer work on my recliner, updating some older neglected web pages.  I today received approval from my doctor to work part time from home starting next week.  I will work 2 days a week from home.  I have found no problems sitting at the computer desk while not breaking protocols/restrictions.   The main thing is remembering to get up every hour for some walking/stretching to keep blood flowing and stiffness from occuring.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Re: Powerplate Use by BilateralRecerf
April 21, 2024, 10:34:10 AM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear