+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post hip resurfacing and bursitis  (Read 3411 times)

franki1331

Post hip resurfacing and bursitis
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
I had  the first hip surgery two years ago, no problems, I had the second surgery last July and I am having lots of trouble recovering. I probably did too much too soon and I developed Bursitis in my new hip. I am taking physio but it really isn't helping. I started taking Advil, 3 a day, it helps tolerate the pain, but it isn't a cure. It will probably take me a long time to heal. All you hippies out there, PLEASE take care that you don't overdo after your replacement, take it easy
and don't push yourtself too soon. I had to move into a new place and I really worked hard just three months after the surgery, I would never do it again, I realize now that I am not Atlas woman, lol.
Franki

B.I.L.L.

Re: Post hip resurfacing and bursitis
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:51:40 AM »
Just starting to research bursitus, any info appreciated. I googled it but they were'nt too specific about the cause or more importantly the cure. Any info appreciated, Thanks, Bill

dw

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:05 AM »
Just starting to research bursitus, any info appreciated. I googled it but they were'nt too specific about the cause or more importantly the cure. Any info appreciated, Thanks, Bill

Hi B.I.L.L. - I had asked my surgeon at my one year about bursitis (and cemented vs. not, and some other stuff) because it has been posted by folks here as a potential complication. He felt that the cause was either improper seating of cup or ball. If they are out just a little bit, there is more pressure on the bursa - leading to the inflamation.  Since I don't have it (thankfully), I'm not sure on the treatment, although anti-inflamitories and rest probably are in order.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »
Anti inflamatories and rest help, I'm really hoping it's something that can be worked out with exersize or a shot or anything besides a revision.... we'll see what they say, thanks for the input I'll keep you all up to date with any info I get.

franki1331

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »
Bursitis is an inflamation of the bursa, a soft sack that covers the bone to prevent injury. I gets inflamed from too much activity, some tennis players get it in the shoulders. The inflamation and pain keep you from further injury by limiting your movement. If you have had hip surgery you are NOT suppose to jump around too soon. Our bodies talk to us, listen to them.

John C

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
I have had a couple of instances of bursitis since my resurfacing. It was definitely an issue during the first six weeks, holding back my ability to walk without crutches for the first 4-5 weeks. The worst was at about one year after the surgery, when I got into my full summer activity mode. At its worst, I had a severe limp, and could not take a step without pain. That episode lasted a few weeks. During that episode, my surgeon called me to discuss it (a wonderful move on his part). His suggestion was to use repetitive, low resistance, exercises to stimulate circulation and healing in the area, without over stressing it. That, combined with a couple of weeks on Celebrex, solved the problem. He indicated that if it persisted, a further step could be a cortisone injection into the area, but I never needed to go that route. As I approach two years, it is not a problem, though I occasionally feel a temporary tenderness in that area when I really push it.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

dw

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »
I've read (somewhere) that a surgical removal of the bursa may also be considered, but I supposed that would be a last option (prior to revision I suppose).

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear