+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inflammation  (Read 1989 times)

Lopsided

Inflammation
« on: April 20, 2010, 03:03:36 AM »
I hope you don't mind me moaning. My inflammation comes and goes, and now it has come again more acutely than before. This forum seems generally about people that have had resurfacing or are close to it. I don't even have an appointment yet! I am resolved that I will have resurfacing, even though my doctor is against it.

When I do not have inflammation, I consider myself lucky in that I do not have pain, just restriction in movement. I do not understand why inflammation can just switch on and off without any particular reason, but when it does, I am pretty much useless. The muscles around my midsection refuse to work and I am bent over sideways. I only get relief if I lie on my back with one leg slightly bent. I am sure you might all have had similar symptoms.

It was my intention to finish the work that I have, and travel to Europe next year for surgery. As it is, I cannot do any work now, so maybe I should go this summer. Although the logistics involved are not easy, I have no fear of the operation. I find the idea of resurfacing exciting and would look forward to it.

I read on this forum about people after the operation returning to, and wishing to return to sport, even extreme sport. I used to love sport, and twenty years ago thought I was indestructible. So I am pleased for everyone that has returned to sport. My ambitions are simpler. I would like to walk upright and with a comfortable gait, I would like to bend over to kiss my children, I would like to cut my toenails. Sitting cross-legged on the floor to enjoy a communal meal would be a huge social asset to me.

Even though I do not post often, I read this forum often. I did not know what section to post this message in, as there is no section for before resurfacing. So I hope you don't mind me ranting. Until I have my operation, I would like to read posts by other people in similar situations to me.

Thank you.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Inflammation
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:35:53 AM »
Hi

I am sorry, but can't remember your full story.

Only piece of advice I have is that you can wait too long before having a hip resurfacing.  Playing the game of seeing how long you can wait could result in having a THR instead of a resurfacing.  YOu need to get x-rays from one of the most experinced hip resurfacing surgeons and see what state your hip is in.  Find out if you can wait.  Pain and inflammation is not the only indication of hip problems.  Some people feel a lot of pain and others don't.  So you can't judge your hip deterioration by yourself, you need x-rays and input from an experinced surgeon.

Other than that, we all had a great deal of pain.  I was at the point that I could not do anything but sit in a chair and could not sleep at night even with the strongest meds.  I did not have insurance and had to decide to fly to Belgium to get my hip resurfacing.  Once I found out about resurfacing, it only took me a couple months to get my hip resurfaced.  I knew I could not wait any longer.  I was putting of an old fashioned THR, so I did wait, but it could have cost me my resurfacing.

Having pain and sometimes feeling better is typical.  Many schedule their surgeries and think they have recovered.  Not true - once you are bone on bone - you never get better.

Get good input before you decide to sit around and wait, especially if you want a resurfaicng.  Get your resurfacing, get rid of your pain and get active again.  Life is passing you by.  Most people always say - I don't know why I waited!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

moe

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »
What you are going through is no way to go through life with modern medicine. It is time to get another opinion from an experienced surgeon who does resurfs. I am only 9 months post op and feel better than I have in years, no regrets.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
Thank you Moe and Pat.

The inflammation has mostly receded now, and I am functional. In about two weeks I will go to the metropolis to see the doctor, and get his latest opinion. And then, unless there are any other complications, I will likely book an operation. Though not with him. And not even in the same country.

leggy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »
Hello Lopsided, my inflamation used to come & go, but now i am always in pain.
Like Pat, i cannot sleep at night, i find getting comfortable in bed the hardest thing.
I had a consult last November, the surgeon suggested i may have back problems causing a lot of the pain, even though my xrays showed arthritis, i went for chiro for 3 months, but realised, nothing but surgery will sort this, i do not want to go back there, even though i could have the op much  quicker, because they only do THR'S, if at all possible ,i want the birmingham hip resurface.
I am going for another consult on 26th May.
I would advise, from my own experience, get it done before you are in permanent pain, regards Leggy.

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »
Hello Lopsided, my inflamation used to come & go, but now i am always in pain.
Like Pat, i cannot sleep at night, i find getting comfortable in bed the hardest thing.
I had a consult last November, the surgeon suggested i may have back problems causing a lot of the pain, even though my xrays showed arthritis, i went for chiro for 3 months, but realised, nothing but surgery will sort this, i do not want to go back there, even though i could have the op much  quicker, because they only do THR'S, if at all possible ,i want the birmingham hip resurface.
I am going for another consult on 26th May.
I would advise, from my own experience, get it done before you are in permanent pain, regards Leggy.

Thank you Leggy, I appreciate your advice, and have decided to get it done this summer. My regular orthopaedist tells me that if I get my hips done, it will definitely help my back, though it won't help my neck.

I read on another thread that you are worried about not being able to sleep on your side. So am I. That is the only way I have ever slept, curled up on my side.

My ortho also only does THRs. I told him I have decided to get resurfacing, and that I would travel abroad to get it.

Dan

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM