+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tips on Scar Reduction  (Read 2671 times)

PaulUK

Tips on Scar Reduction
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »
Anyone got any tips for reducing the visibility of the scar post-surgery? Or did you find that it faded away on its own?
Not a big deal compared to other recovery issues, but it would still be preferable to have an near-invisible line to a livid red slash!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Tips on Scar Reduction
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »
Hi

After 4-6 weeks, you can rub vitamin E oil on your scar.  Ask your surgeon to make sure when you can apply lotions. There are scar reduction lotions over the counter like Mederma, etc.  You can try those too.  Most people have their scar turn white in 6 - 12 months or more.  I am 4 years post op and am still pink.  I have very sensitive skin and don't heal like other people do.

So it is an individual thing.  Most people are proud of their scar since it represents a new, active, pain free life.  It is just something you live with.  The price you pay for having your life back. Just stay away from nude photos on your surgery side  :D

Have fun.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:25:49 PM »
I tell people I was bitten by a shark while big wave surfing  ;D   

stevel

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
It will fade with time to be barely noticeable.
I bumped into a THR patient at the health club, who had his hip replaced 14 years ago, and he said the scar is barely noticeable.

I tell people, "I had an ass tuck!"
Somebody replied, "No, its an lobotomy" :)
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

PaulUK

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 04:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the 'tips' guys - a good laugh helps right now! I'll look into the serious tips Pat, as I hope to achieve a good look to the scar and will post a photo on the site if I succeed (or does that break site rules?!)

Matt

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:57:50 PM »
My wife had a scar on her upper lip and I came across scar reduction laser treatment. She went for 3 sessions and now you really have to know where the scar was to find it. I am not sure if it would be ok the treat a larger surgery scar that way, but that knowledge is one phone call away.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat