+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: knee hurts when stretching quad  (Read 6514 times)

dougmint

knee hurts when stretching quad
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »
OK, I am 41 year old male, and competitive cyclist.  Had BHR done 4 weeks ago.  Before surgery, I could pull my foot to my butt to stretch my quads.  Now, when I try to do this, my knee hurts.  Why is this?  Anything I can do to make sure my knee doesn't become a problem?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: knee hurts when stretching quad
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »
Hi

Which knee can't be stretched - on the operated side or other side.

When they dislocate your hip - it is hard on the whole leg and body.  They do a lot of stuff to you and your body during surgery.  People often have bruises here and there.  So you  most likely have just had your knee strained.  I would not force it.  Give it a chance to heal. Don't forget your back and all your muscles are not normal since surgery.  It takes your whole body to compenste for the replaced hip.  You would not think it - but your whole body is pretty much connected with muscles one way or another.

Be patient and don't force anything.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dougmint

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
Yes, the knee on the operated side hurts when I try to stretch my foot to my butt.

resurface

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:49:57 AM »
doughmint...

I also cycle quite a bit and look forward to getting back to it quickly.  I have not stopped riding but flipping my bike two weeks ago almost did me in!  My date is in 2 weeks.  Just curious as to how much you can cycle after 4 weeks?  Are you on a trainer, on the street...?  As far as the knee, are you still seeing a physical therapist?  I periodically have pain in my knee related to my hip.  Pat may be right about this being related to the surgery.  Further, if you are like me, I externally rotate my entire leg to compensate [by as much as @ 15 degrees or so].  After surgery, the change to a more normal alignment [and gait] may be a contributing factor. 

We should get all the resurfacing cyclists to meet and do a ridculous ride - like a Mount Washington in NH! Soounds like you are doing great... best wishes for a speedy recovery.

dougmint

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:25 AM »
doughmint...

I also cycle quite a bit and look forward to getting back to it quickly.  I have not stopped riding but flipping my bike two weeks ago almost did me in!  My date is in 2 weeks.  Just curious as to how much you can cycle after 4 weeks?  Are you on a trainer, on the street...?  As far as the knee, are you still seeing a physical therapist?  I periodically have pain in my knee related to my hip.  Pat may be right about this being related to the surgery.  Further, if you are like me, I externally rotate my entire leg to compensate [by as much as @ 15 degrees or so].  After surgery, the change to a more normal alignment [and gait] may be a contributing factor.  

We should get all the resurfacing cyclists to meet and do a ridculous ride - like a Mount Washington in NH! Soounds like you are doing great... best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I road my road bike for the first time (on a trainer) at 4.5 weeks post surgery.  I have been riding a trainer as part of PT 3 times per week.  No issues riding a trainer.  However, riding a trainer strengthens quads and calfs, but you'll find after surgery that you need to restrengthen the muscles on the side (that were cut for the surgery).  I am still going to PT 3 x per week.  The pain in the knee is definitely related to the surrgery.  Basically, the quads get very tight after the surgery, and they are still tighter than normal..  I definitely fell like my hips and knees are more aligned now that my arthritic hip has been dealt with.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:56:52 AM by dougmint »

resurface

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »
One other question... did they do an anterior to anterior-lateral approach?  There is little written on the site about an anterior approach.  I am having a direct anterior.  Thanks...

dougmint

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »
One other question... did they do an anterior to anterior-lateral approach?  There is little written on the site about an anterior approach.  I am having a direct anterior.  Thanks...

anterior lateral

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal