+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral journey begins  (Read 3385 times)

dmather

Bilateral journey begins
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:19:17 AM »
Hi all!

I haven't posted in a while, my recovery from my right hip resurfacing has been somewhat unremarkable. Everything is going well, I am walking without any support, almost feel like running! ;-)

My left hip seems to be holding me back more and more every day! Still can't put my socks on but I think it is more because of my left hip than my right hip. I have a little soreness around the incision area but other wise no pain and can put 100% weight on my right hip, which I have been able to do since day 1 post-op. I have had a bad stomach reaction to the anti-inflamatory that was prescribed for me, it really tore my stomach up something fierce! I cut back on the dosage, about 1/3, and have been taking Prilosec so that has gotten better!

This is my fourth surgery and all-in-all I would say the best recovery I have ever had!

I am now 6 days away from having the left hip done, and am looking very much forward to it!!! I have been through the pre-op procedures with the surgeon and the hospital and am ready to go! My lab tests did apparently show a urinary tract infection, which I wasn't aware of, but I got put on antibiotics for 7 days and am OK to go now!

Well, like I said the recovery for the right hip hasn't been anything remarkable but the left hip has definitely been slowing me down so I am so ready to get that side fixed as well!!!

I will do my best to keep everyone informed on my progress although my personal expectations are that this one will go even better than the last!

Dale
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/2010
**LBHR Dr. Clarke 5/5/2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Bilateral journey begins
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:18:55 AM »
Dale

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery!  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

roosevelt heights

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:04:32 PM »
DMAT,

I am recently bilat (2/8 and 4/5)... Wait until both are done, it's amazing to have NO Pain in the hip/buttock...

dmather

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »
Pat,

Thanks once again for your thoughts and mostly for this terrific site.

RH,

I am definitly anxious to be done with both hips, right now my left hip is in constant pain where as my right one has no joint pain at all!

Dale
**LBHR Dr. Clarke 5/5/2010

jack

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 07:27:50 PM »
dmather

I am coming up on my surgery with Dr. Clarke on the 19th. Its great to read success stories from  people that have used the same surgeon as me.... thanks and keep us informed!!  

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:30:06 PM by jack »
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

dmather

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 03:10:00 AM »
Hi fellow surfacehippies,

I want to offer my sincerest apologies for not posting in such a long time, my only excuse  

Anyhow, I went into this second surgery expecting the same excellent outcome I had in the first surgery. My right hip was very uneventful and everything went exceptionally well! So I expected nothing less with my left hip resurfacing.

I have nothing significant to report from the surgery and hospital stay, the Dr. said he had a difficult time due to lack of flexibility, pretty much like the right hip, maybe a little worse. From the moment I woke up I had significantly more pain then I did my first hip surgery, exact same procedure and recovery protocol, but it was much more painful. The Dr. assured me that the x-rays showed everything was positioned correctly and that each resurfacing was unique, but this recovery was much more painful than the first one. I was much more uncomfortable for this surgery than the first one and was in the hospital for a little over a day more. Again, I was in considerably more discomfort than the first surgery so I thought it was odd, however as the Dr. said, each procedure is unique so possibly the first one was unordinary.

I got released from the hospital on Sat, surgery was Wed, and since I have had a much harder time with pain. I don’t discount the fact that it could be in my head but for me this surgery has been much harder than the first one as far as pain is concerned. At about 8 ½  weeks since my last surgery I am feeling no pain in the actual hip joint itself, stiffness and muscle pain put no joint pain. Starting from a stop hurts due to stiffness but once I’m moving everything goes very smoothly!

I have had a tough time due to degenerative disc disease in my lover back and neck so my recovery is going kind of slow at the moment but that is an entirely different story. My hips are sore whenever I have been sitting for a while or sleeping, but when moving these new hip work GREAT! I currently have a lot of pain but it is due to degenerative disc disease and not my hips so I am extremely happy with the hip resurfacing and have been progressing daily since my second surgery.

I have 20+ years of hip degeneration so I just want to say that folks should get a reprieve as soon as feasible rather than wait, and resurfacing is an option to consider!!!

Dale
LBHR Dr. Clarke 5/5/2010

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz