+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lump in hand from IV?  (Read 2377 times)

Margie

Lump in hand from IV?
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
At 5 weeks after surgery I noticed a small (about the size of a pencil point) hard lump in my hand about an inch above where the IV was inserted. In a matter of only one week it is about 1/4 inch. It does not hurt, it is not red or inflamed and it moves around in the vein. I did ask the doctor when I went last Tuesday and he said it was probably scar tissue from the IV and it would slowly go away on it's own. I has gotten bigger since then. Just wondered if any one else had this happen and if theirs continued to get bigger.

Thanks,
Margie
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

dougmint

Re: Lump in hand from IV?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »
my IV was in my upper forearm, and the vein it was stuck in was super hard, for a lenght of about 3/4 inch.  I am at 6 weeks post op now, and it seems to be slowly dissipating. 

fedup

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
I"ve  had  lumps from my IV's in the past (hematomas) but they gradually go away. If yours is getting bigger, an ultrasound would help to see what's solid and if there is any localized fluid there (suggesting infection). Even though it is not red or painful (are you on anti-inflammatories?) I wouldn't watch it getting bigger without finding out what it is.

Margie

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I am not on anti-inflammatories, and it has not gotten much bigger. The skin has darker over the lump, about the same color as the scar from the IV. If it gets much bigger or starts to bother me too much I will have my primary doctor check it for me.
Thanks for the input!
RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

jack

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
Margie,
If it were me with a 1/4" mass and growing, I would run to the doctor to find out what it is. With most medical things, waiting usually makes things worse....  unless it turns out to be nothing. If it is nothing, well all the better but I would need to know!!
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM