+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR/Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital/ 4/28/2010  (Read 2390 times)

atbower

Almost a week!
I had my initial pre-op appt 1 week prior to surgery and met Dr. B. for the first time.  He was surprised I was already scheduled for surgery with him next week: "How did you get on my schedule?".  Ummm, I was a little taken back.  I said we had a phone consultation but he still seemed perplexed.  His PA and I had spoke many times and he was the one who gave me the OR date. However I managed to get on the schedule it seemed like a departure from normal.  And I was certainly at that point going to have a hissy fit of the biggest possible type if anyone suggested moving that date!  But he just moved on.

Pre-op phyisical was done by a PA in pre-admission testing, including blood work, general physical, blood work to include typing and crossing if needed.  I was then sent to Ortho where new Xrays were obtained and then appt with Dr. Brooks.
He is a very confident physician. After he looked at my Xray he said, So we are going to do your Right Hip.  And then we'll be doing your left one.  Sigh.  I knew things were deteriorating in that hip also but hard to pay to much attention when I was so significantly hobbled by my right one.  Asking for some feedback on my Xrays-arthrits due to congenital hip dysplasia- he was very matter of fact. They look terrible.  I told him I would be very upset at this point if I ended up with a THR.  He said, "You should be. We going to give you a BHR." That is what I wanted to hear!! I felt completely content at that moment.  My over arching worry during this time was that somehow my skewed anatomy and degree of arthirits would, at the last moment, take away the resurfacing option. He has a very confident demeanor, which as a RN, I want and need in a surgeon.  He is very business like and as I was  listening to him chat up all preop patients,( I am nosey) he seemed a little more relaxed with the men.  Just an observation.  Again, I felt like I had really done my homework and it was the video on this website of his interview with Pat that convinced my that he was "my guy".  The one thing that surprised me is how little he wants done to that leg post op, re: strength training for one full year.   He is very wary of femur fxs and we spent a fair amount of time going over that.  I am more than willing to sign on to committing a year of no strength training on that operated leg, instead concentrate on increasing rom and flexibiltiy.  Now, knowing that though, it does prompt me to go quicker with my Left hip in order to decrease the time I will not be skiing, running etc.  It seems logical to me and I am on board

Day of Surgery went well. Called the night before and found out the time to show up.  Everything seemed to go very smoothly.  The hospital itself is old and the patients room very tiny and crowded with two patients with the ortho trapeze cage over the beds.  Staff was really lovely and worked very hard to stay on top of needs.  I was religious about keeping ice on it and pretty much alwys had a bag of ice round the clock.   I was discharged in three days feeling better each day. Dr. Brooks d/c you with PT to do at home and the PT at hospital went over all of his protocols.  You are also discharged home to crutches for six weeks.  Another surpirse to me was being discharged home on the electric leg compression stockings.  He uses these for two weeks post op instead of anti-coagulant therapy.  I find them comfortable and relaxing but when you are walking around you have to hang the battery back around your neck as your crutch around.  It has not been that big a deal except for dressing as you now have these large blue tubes attached to stockings which make fashion a little difficult!  I've opted to just wear nightgowns at home this week.  And left the hospital in a skirt for the long drive home.

So Almost a week.  Feeling well.  Percocet as needed which is really helping.  Doing my PT religiously.  Feeling pretty good!  Thanks to all for the support.  Ann B

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: BHR/Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital/ 4/28/2010
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
Hi Ann

Congratulations on the new hip.  Glad to hear things are going well for you.  It is all downhill now.  Be patient and give your self time to heal.  Don't push things in the begining.

Stay in touch.  Thank You for posting your story for others to read.  I will try to get it posted on the main site.  I periodically go thur and try to get the stories posted here up on the main site. 

People are always welcome to send me their stories and photos to post   pwalter@surfacehippy.info

Good Luck!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dayton96

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:23 PM »
Congratulations Ann.  Good luck on your recovery.  I'm in the process of picking a surgeon.  As it would happen, I have an appointment with Dr. Brooks in a couple of weeks.  It's a four drive for me, but he is the closest surgeon with the level of experience I was looking for, here in Ohio.  So, I wanted to at least talk to him before I made my final choice.  I'm curious as to why you picked Dr. Brooks.  You have a medical background, I'm sure you looked at the other docs on this site, and I doubt you were intimidated by traveling to Columbia or New York, etc, so if you don't mind my nosiness, what finally convinced you that Dr. Brooks was your man? 
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

atbower

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
I am originally from Cleveland so that, I am sure, played a role in my positive perception of the Cleveland Clinic. I like all his training and his experience.  Again, I was very impressed with his discussion with Pat (video on this website) that went into the pathology of what the bone experiences after a THR vs. BHR.  It just made a lot of sense to me.   I had gone to see Dr. Mont in Baltimore for a consult.  For me, he wasn't a good fit. Everyones choices come down to their particular life and what fits.  As the mom of 3, wife of a busy guy, I knew that I would not want to fly anywhere for this procedure just because of logistics.

During our phone consult, he was very clear and open.  I had done my homework but one thing he said to me during the conversation was : "at your age, this seems like a no brainer."   That, very simply, boiled down everything I had been thinking. 
I do like his conservative approach in avoiding femur fx.  At our pre-op appointment he said "you're a little lady.  This procedure generally works better in bigger frames." I had known that so his post-op course conservative femur protecting rehab seems to work with my biggest worry. 

I am only one week out (today!)  but I have to say I am very pleased with my experience so far.  I would be happy to speak or email with you if you would be interested.  Who else are you considering?  All I know is that I feel better today than I did the week I was off all my anti-inflamatories before the OR.   Of course I am still taking some percocet so that may not be a fair comparison!

Dayton96

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
Thanks Ann.  I'm looking at Dr. Gross also.  I sent you an email with a little more detail. 
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat