+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another leg length question  (Read 8016 times)

jwtoto

Another leg length question
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
Hi there,

I am at 21 days post-op and my operative leg feels longer than the other one. I emphasize "feels" because I look in the mirror and I don't see anything that indicates one leg being longer. I can walk without crutches (but I use crutches for my exercise walks) and it feels kind of like the operative leg is longer. I don't know. How do they actually measure your leg length? I heard somewhere that most people have unequal length limbs but I guess you just get used to it. How long does it take to start feeling like the legs are the same length after this surgery?

Thanks,

Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/10
Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/2010

Margie

Re: Another leg length question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:17:19 PM »
Hi Jerry,
When I first started walking with the cane I felt as though the operated leg was much higher. My PT showed me that I was not even leaning onto the leg at all and helped me adjust how far I leaned into the step. It felt very odd, and yes uncomfortable, but day by day it got easier. I also found that when I took a longer gait in my steps it was easier too. All the things I was afraid to do actually made it easier. I was taking baby steps and not leaning to the operate side at all. I can still hear him say, "Marjorie, walk like a normal person!"  :D
At 7 weeks now and all is even! I truly thought at one point that would never happen. Most of the time now I forget my hip is "different".

RBHR Dr. Clarke 3/17/10

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »
If you're taking PT a therapist can answer that question, most are very good at it--- was there any difference pre-op?  Usually people think their operated leg is longer at first, it's early on in your recovery, I would not worry much right now.

Chuck

Hi there,

I am at 21 days post-op and my operative leg feels longer than the other one. I emphasize "feels" because I look in the mirror and I don't see anything that indicates one leg being longer. I can walk without crutches (but I use crutches for my exercise walks) and it feels kind of like the operative leg is longer. I don't know. How do they actually measure your leg length? I heard somewhere that most people have unequal length limbs but I guess you just get used to it. How long does it take to start feeling like the legs are the same length after this surgery?

Thanks,

Jerry RBHR Dr. Su 4/15/10
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

fedup

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
Differences in the length and strength of the hip abductors (the gluteal muscles) occurs with chronic arthritis of the hip, after surgery, the muscles need to strengthen and accomodate to the normalized anatomy (if the non-operated leg is normal). If you lie down on a firm surface and make sure your pelvis is level (the top of the pelvis at the front of your body should be equal) then get someone to measure the distance from the anterior superior iliac spine (top of the pelvis on the outside of one leg) to the inside of the ankle on the same leg, barring any abnormalities in the knees, the legs should be the same length. Weak  hip abductors or flexors will make it seem that one leg is longer than the other when you walk.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear