+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slow recovery at 10 weeks  (Read 2010 times)

Jamie N

Slow recovery at 10 weeks
« on: May 14, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
HI ! My name Is Jamie i'm 39 and 10weeks out of a cementless resurface.I'm still walking with a cane and have alot of pain, Is there anyone who has been at this point with any advice?I'm becoming frustrated at the prolonged recovery!

jack

Re: Slow recovery at 10 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
No advice really other than to talk with your surgeon and maybe 2nd or 3rd opinions. Who is your surgeon?
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
Hi Jamie

Welcome to Hip Talk.  We are all different in our recoveries.  Some people have a fast recovery, while others have a slow one.  How long did you have hip problems before surgery?  Were you limping or on a crutch or cane?  Sometimes your recovery takes longer if you had bad problems before surgery.  Putting a new MOM hip resurfacing in your hip only takes care of the bone on bone or whatever problem you had - the rest of the healing comes from all your muscles and soft tissue around the new hip.  You have been opend up and had major surgery.  Some people just take a long time to heal.

What kind of pain do you have?  Is it when you walk, sit or sleeping at night?  Who did your surgery? What has your surgeon said about your pain.  Have you asked?  Are you still on pain meds?

Some people have taken 6 months to a year to heal, but usually they had bad hip problems for years.  Again, some people are just slow.  No matter your age or physical shape - you body will heal on it's own schedule.  You can't push or rush it.  If you are in bad pain, you need to talk to your surgeon. Have you had x-rays to check the plaement of your hip device and it's components?

There are a lot of questions to be answered to help you determine if you are just a slow healer or you have problems with the surgery or device.  10 weeks post op is still very early in your recovery.  It is only 2 1/2 months post op. Are you taking PT. Are you being over active?  Do you have swelling?  Are you icing and elevating if you have swelling. Tell us more.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jamie N

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »
My sergeon is Dr.P Beaule of Ottawa.I had alot of pain and waited 18 months for surgery, I have been in pt for 6 weeks i'm alot better, just alot of pain and still use the cane.I guess I had myself figured for the quick tough guy recovery and that's making it frustrating. My pt says my hips still angry about the surgery and that being younger i may have more sesitive nerve endings.  thanks for the replys and nice to meet you
Jamie

dw

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
what device did you get. I thought Dr Gross was pretty much forging the way with uncemented, curious to see what kind of device was used.

Have you seen the "after x-rays" if so, did you ask about cup angle (angle is from horizontal)...

DonC

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »
You have had major surgery. It takes time. My muscles were sore for a while. I had mild discomfort but never real pain of any sort. I really couldn't walk cane free for 4 months.

Now 6 months out and walk normal with no limp and no pain. I had limped for the past 15 years.

Time goes by quickly.

Don

Jamie N

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »
They used the corex ,I did not ask about angle.I liked your story Don I'm just abit frustrated ,I'm having trouble getting my operated leg past 90 degree to my chest did you deal with this at all?I was talking to some friends who believe my musles could be in atrophy ,I'm booking another appointment.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear