+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lower back and leg pain  (Read 2777 times)

drgrant66

Lower back and leg pain
« on: May 15, 2010, 04:35:15 AM »
I had my right hip re-surfaced 6 weeks ago all seems good however, when getting out of bed during the last week, I have a burning pain emanating from backside all the way down thru' my calf muscle on the LEFT side.  Don't know if it's related to the hip resufacing or if it's some separate, perhaps back related issue.  Any similar experiences out there?

fedup

Re: Lower back and leg pain
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
I had a similar problem (a combination of sacroiliac joint imbalance and a lumbar disc) which caused pain in the opposite butt area and down the back of the leg. It seemed to come with doing the bridging exercises. I went to a physio that did spinal manipulation to keep my pelvis aligned and the more core exercises I did the better my low back pain improved until it went away. Everyone is different with respect to their low back, SI joints, and the strength of their core muscles as well as muscles around the hip/pelvis. Depending on whether the OA is unilateral or bilateral and how long it's been around, after surgery the body has to compensate for the change in biomechanics. A physio trained in spinal manipulation with experience with joint replacement patients is the safest option for therapy (I was recommended to someone by my Rheumatologist).

JDinHB

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
i had my right hip done two weeks ago today. My lower back went out on me(spasms) the first week from moving so awkwardly to accomodate the operated hip. It was middle to left side but not down the leg. I half expected it as i have had issues before. I have been trying to strengthen with excercises and at PT. I did take some muscle relaxers which helped tremendously but am trying to wean myself off both those and pain meds.     

stephen

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
Besides my hip, I have severe degenerating bones in my lower back. My hip is doing great at 11 weeks post op but my lower back hurts like hell. It takes me so long to get out of a chair, I can make a career out of it. Then to start walking is fun too. I finally loosen up just a bit after about 3 minutes, but I still hurt.

I told my PT that I can do anything they want me to do with my hip, but it hurts my back. Again I got that deer in the headlights look from them and it pisses me off. I went through three sessions with them and they couldn't help anyhow so I quit and and doing PT on my own. I can now tie my own shoe and can put on a sock with a little manipulation;without their help.

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
Had similar issues with my low back at 6 week post op (now at 7+ weeks LBHR).  I had pre-existing lumbar back issues prior to hip surgery and my back pain flared up during rehab walking at 6 weeks.  It seemed a rehab "plateau" existed and every time I took a long walk, or got up out of the chair, my back hurt.  I continued walking as my doctor released me to do as much walking as I desired.  I walked longer when I felt good and made as much an aerobic work out and strengthening exercise as I could and after about a week of religious working out I broke through and now my back discontinued hurting and I feel much stronger. I am not an athlete by any means, but kept at my walking regiment as much as possbile.  As said by many way before me here, "everyone heals at different rates"...... just continue PT or rehab as tolerated or directed by your medical care advisors, and all will get better.

Good Luck, Jeff

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat