+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pain in Buttock - Two weeks post op  (Read 2342 times)

JDinHB

Pain in Buttock - Two weeks post op
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
I am two weeks post op today(right hip). I had mine done with Dr. Schmalzreid in LA. After PT and stretching(well - mostly after PT and stretching) and sitting for longer periods am getting a lot of pain in the right buttock at the end of the incision site. There seems to be a lot of scar tissue there. The pain goes well deeper than the incision site though. Is anyone else having this type of discomfort/pain? My operated leg(right) is a bit longer than the left but I did read from other posts that this is fairly normal at this stage.   

resurface

Re: Pain in Buttock - Two weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
Hi

I am 11 days post-op.  I can't speak to the pain in the butt as I ad an anterior-lateral approach that I think more potential resurfacing patients should ask their surgeon about.  Regarding leg length, I had the same situation and my PT told me that this is a common experience that would go over time.  It has all but gone.  What I did (and I have no idea if it is the reason for it going aways is)... I would stand up tall and straight before I would take a walk. I do it each time before I took a walk.  I tried to place my body in a position that felt "balanced."   I also try to sit on my 2 sit-bones.  Sounds odd, but I always sat on my left non-operated side.  Again, in my mind, it helps with trying to get in "balance."  Sit tall.

Resurface...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:44:07 PM by resurface »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »
Hi

2 weeks post op is very early in your recovery.  Some people have a lot of pain while others don't.  Are you still on pain meds?  Are you taking them to keep up with the pain and on schedule or wait until the pain is too bad?  If you require meds, you want to make sure you take them on schedule.

If the pain is extreme, you should contact your surgeon and ask about it.

You will have a lot of scar tissue since you have been opened up to have your hip replaced. It is major surgery and will take 6 months to mostly heal and 1 year to completely heal. 

Know many people have pain for quite awhile, while others have little.  It is an individual thing.

Many people feel their leg is longer.  The whole hip area is swollen and makes everything feel different.  Very few people have actually had leg length differences after they heal.  It is diffiuclt with hip resurfacing to shorten or lengthen a leg much.  It is quite different than the variable THR long stem component.

Just take it easy and know you have plenty of company while you are healing.  We have all gone down the same path.  If the pain becomes very extreme - then give the doctor a call.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

roosevelt heights

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »
After Bi-lat, I have learned patience is the key...your body will tell you when to push and when to rest...

JDinHB

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »
Hey Pat. Thanks for the reply. I take Vicodin when needed at this point. I haven't taken for a few days now but maybe i shouldnt be worried about using it. I am taking Ibuprofen which helps. I always seem worse as far as pain in the mornings which i guess makes sense. I just seem to have good days and bad days as opposed to feeling better on a gradual and steady basis which i think adds to the impatience and anxiety. I should be dropping down to one crutch in a few days but have tried and it's somewhat painful after about 10 or so steps. Icing seems to help too after walking or PT. Thanks for the help.   

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear