+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing this Monday, 5/24/10  (Read 2350 times)

pfhuntley

Resurfacing this Monday, 5/24/10
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »
I was in a car accident when I was 19, on Nov. 1, 1984. I have been living bone on bone with my right hip since then and it has gotten so bad lately that I am almost in constant pain. So I have decided to take the plunge with Dr. David Palmer at the St. Croix Orthopedics Center in Stillwater, MN this Monday! I am so very excited to be able to walk pain-free and to be able to live life to its fullest! I have put my life on hold UNTIL.......so the UNTIL is finally here!!!

I am a bit nervous, but in my heart, I KNOW this is going to be a wonderful outcome for me!

The doctors always told me to get a Total Hip Replacement and wait to at least 50 years old, well I have researched resurfacing for around 5 years and feel this is my best solution since I am 44. Life cannot be put on hold any longer for me, it has been way too long already!!!

I, so far, have lost 61 pounds and need to lose many more, but now that I am going to be resurfaced, I will be able to walk and get it off that much quicker!!!

Anyone have stories they would like to share about Dr. Palmer or their resurfacing outcomes, that they can send me? I would love to hear your experiences, and any tips or concerns.

Please send me all the positive thoughts you can muster for my pending surgery and recovery!!! I appreciate it. I am going to take before videos and after videos to and will share them with you once I can.

Take care and hope to hear from you fellow hippies soon!!!

Paulette

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Resurfacing this Monday, 5/24/10
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »
Hi Paulette

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.  Almost all of us here have had a resurfacing.  So we have been there and done that.  You will soon join us.  Think about what a great summer you are going to have without pain and being active again.

Keep in touch.  Let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jack

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »
Hi Paulette,

I can relate to the nervousness. My surgery is tomorrow the 19th! I have come to realize though that there are some things in life that just have to be done and this is one of those things. I can't wait to get to the other side, way to the other side!

You have been bone on bone for 26 years? Wow that's a long time to endure!! Best of luck to you.....
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

Tekka

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
Hey Paulette,

Your story is spookily close to mine, I broke both femurs in a car crash when I was nineteen, I received my LBHR when I was 42. I have not regretted the decision for a second, it has been a good experience.

I wish you and Jack well...

Best wishes

Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Tarhoo2

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Paulette and Jack,

We have all been where you all are with regard to the apprehension regarding surgery.  I did everything I could to avoid it, but finally decided anything was better than continuing to deal with the pain and loss of quality of life.  I was very anxious the morning of my first BHR (at 47).  Amazingly, I felt better as soon as I was conscious in recovery.  Granted, I was doped up, but I was still aware of the relief.  Knowing what to expect, I was totally prepared for my second BHR 3-1/2 months later.  Don't get me wrong, recovery is a challenge and you have to be patient and respectful of your doctor's protocols, but being given back the ability to walk without pain is truly a gift ... one for which I am grateful every day.

Good luck.  See you on the other side.

Jim

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:02:54 PM »
Paulette, and Jack,

I have got three months till my operation, and I am excited.

I am pleased for you that you will be through it and improving soon.

Dan

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

donnalead2001

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »
Hi Pulette,
I had my LBHR on Friday, May 14th. Today I walked the lakefront with my walker about 1/4 mile. I feel really good. You will too. I follow my doctor's protocols and do my therapy as instructed. It is wonderful to walk without pain and a limp. I am glad that I had the surgery and can now have my life back. My husband had tears in his eyes the first time I walked; about 6 hours after surgery. There was no limp and no pain only a tightness. Thank god for this surgery! I am 49 years old. I will be fifty in July. I consider May 14th my birthday though. Please let us know how you are doing. I would be happy to correspond with you if you would like.
Donna

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
Hi Donna

Congratulations on your new hip.  Glad to hear everthing is going well for you.

Why don't you post your story and updates in the Hip Story section if you get time.  You can also wait until you have recovered and send them to me to post on the main part of the website.

Not matter what you decide on your story - it is great you are doing well and letting everyone know about your new hip.  It is wonderful to have you husband's support and caring.  That always helps you heal more quickly.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jeff

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »
Pauleete & Jack,

What is really cool is Pat's web site here!   There are so many areas to explore you will learn a ton if you haven't already.  It is a great resource and was for me as well (LBHR on 04-12-10).  Be patient, follow your doctor's rules, be a self advocate & enjoy!  At 5 weeks post op I am walking without crutches or canes of any sort 3-5 miles per day (and I am no athlete) at 55 years of age.  I am still doing PT couple days per week, which helps me with stiffness and learning how to care for myself properly...like stretching correctly, etc.  Don't be a hero or don't try to work through pain.....there should be none (or little) and manage that with your health care professionals and all will be good.  Your healthcare professionals want you to succeed and will be paying close attention to you, use them as your advocates as well!  Visit this site and explore, you will be glad you did, I have never seen such information for such a medical procedure before, it is invaluable USE IT!!!!!!

Good luck,  Jeff

doris

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »
Best of luck on your surgery, Paulette!  I had a RBHR done on 04/12/10 - was so very nervous but am now so happy I did it!  I woke up in recovery amazed that my deep excruciating pain was gone and I am still pain free!  The post-surgical healing pain was nothing compared to the pain prior to surgery!  I feel like a new person already - and I'm still on crutches!!
RBHR 04/12/10 - Dr. Peter Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

pfhuntley

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 05:06:25 PM »
 ;D Hi everyone!

Well, I did it and I am so glad I did!!! I walked in the operating room with bone on bone pain for the last time! I felt as though it was a ritual walk of sorts....shutting down the old life and me and a beginning to a new me and new life, for me. I had a spinal block and I was really worried about that, but that was not painful at all. The next thing I knew I was waking up to them stitching my hip up and no pain at all. I looked up at the light and knew they had actually done my surgery, because I could see blood, and bone stuff on the light!  Believe it or not, that felt great to see, because I knew then, that they actually had done my surgery!

I did great that whole day. At 9 pm, I sent my husband home since he had to work Tuesday and so about 8 hours post op, he felt really uneasy about going home, but he had to or no money would be coming in. So I had to urinate after he left and they decided to get me up to stand and use the commode. They got the head of my bed up to a slant when I started to feel really sick to my stomach. She got me a vomit bag, and I continued to get ill as she raised the bed up a bit more. I told the nurse it is more than my stomach, I thought I was going to pass out.....so they said to stay with them, and I was more than pale, I started having pain in my heart, (I knew it was my heart having a hard time trying to pump blood) and all of a sudden there were 12 people in the room, crash cart wheeled in, and things got a bit scary.....my BP was dropping and I was about to crash.

The nurse got my legs above my head as quickly as possible and talked me into keeping with her.....so I did not pass out, but after my feet were up, my BP was taken and it was at 69/24. That was AFTER my feet were above my head for a bit so I can imagine what it was before. I have passed out before 2 times after birthing my children so I knew that feeling of passing out, but this was different due to the heart pain. I am thankful for the quick thinking of the nursing staff and they were definitely attentive to me, before, during and after the surgery! Glad I did not actually need that crash cart, because of the quick thinking of my nurse!!!

Once my legs were higher than my heart, I started to feel less heart pain and started feeling better. They gave me morphine due to the amount of pain and I felt better. The EKG said my heart was strong and fine at that point. What they figured is a reaction to anesthesia. I am a "delayed allergy reactor" to MRI dye and I have a lot of allergic reactions to a lot of meds, so that is probably what happened. Along with, I had a very full bladder, and they just put me through putting my TED socks on and there was a lot of pelvis pain (due to shattered pelvis from previous car accident) that I as having. So put all of it together and it is just another exciting day in the life of me....lol.

I was the talk of the hospital even on the day I went home...."OH, YOU are the ONE from Monday night......well, don't do THAT again".....lol. My nurses were awesome, hospital was awesome and Dr. David Palmer was awesome.....HE is so modest! He changed my life as of that day, and he said well, so far so good.......I said he does not know it, but I am gonna give him a huge hug on my 6 week check up! lol.....It is so huge to be joint-pain free! For 25.6 years I have suffered and this post op pain is nothing in comparison! It is sore and I do have to take it easy and slow, but each day, I feel strength coming in it.

Oh, and Percocet helps too.....I have great dreams that make me laugh so hard, that I wake up laughing! Too fun!!! Pain management and sleep are crucial for me. I have not slept in 25.6 years either and I have been able to sleep, flat on my back, for over 4 hours pain free!!! It is amazing!!!

I am still using a walker, but I am putting total weight on my hip. It is coming along quickly, but I do not want to overdo either. Exercise 2 times per day, and soon to start on my recumbent bike....well, after the two week check up. Exercises were a bitch yesterday, and today, they are a bit easier.....I was singing oh, yes, look at this...as I brought up my leg on the heal scoot exercise easier than yesterday!!! Husband laughed at my enthusiasm. Of course, a bit of my 6 month old grandson, Griffin's smiles and kisses, helps me tons too!!!

I will keep you updated and show some before and after videos when I am up and at it. Thanks everyone for encouragement and positive well wishes! It all helps!! Good luck to anyone who is having surgery!!! It all works out the way it is supposed to!!! Great life ahead!!!

OH.....one thing I noticed on my first walk to PT.....MY LEG IS STRAIGHT!!! It has not been straight since November 1 1984!!!  :) :) :) ;D

I will keep you updated......

Paulette

Tekka

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »
Congratulations Paulette,

You have had an exciting start.

I know exactly what you mean about the leg being straight, I still cant believe i'm walking in straight lines.

Take it easy on the recovery and enjoy the new life.

Best Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat