+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need constipation advice - soon!  (Read 3510 times)

tricky

Need constipation advice - soon!
« on: May 21, 2010, 10:41:58 PM »
Just fnished my resurfacing on the 17th of May and just as advertised, constipation has become a significant problem.  I have been taking stool softeners, milk of magnesia, citrocil to no avail.  Its going on 6 days now and I need some advice.  Anybody have any miracle suggestions?  Thanks.  ps other than that things are going well.

Lopsided

Re: Need constipation advice - soon!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:14:15 AM »
How about drinking a litre of pure orange juice?

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

resurface

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
Tricky

Hello.  I am now 16 days post-op.  I had the same.  As you may know, the narcotics (oxycodin which I was prescribed) that are taken for pain cause, in parge part, the constipation.  For me, once I could stopped taking the narcotic, my functions started to work more easily within a few days. 

Good luck...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »
Hi Tricky

The stool softners sometimes take quite awhile to work.  I flew home from Belgium to Ohio 9 days post op.  Up to then, not much happened until I was flying home!!! UGH  what an experince during th 8 1/2 hour plane ride!  :o

I would call your doctors office and ask what to do. There are stronger meds and treatments that can work quickly.  Call and ask what to do.  Always best thing when there are medical questions.

Pat
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:24:44 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

tcarroll

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
Try prunes and prune juice,flax seed also.I am 15 days out and i was that way for three days.Another good product that worked for me was called Natures Secret Intestinal Detoxy fier,kinda like a colon cleanser.It was an herbal mix and work quite well.Good Luck and hope you go :)

Tim

doris

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
Fiber One Cereal (the original version).  Works wonders!!
RBHR 04/12/10 - Dr. Peter Brooks, Cleveland Clinic

roosevelt heights

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:12:12 PM »
Try anything high fiber

DonC

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
I've had this situation occur after two different surgeries in the past.If the pills you are taking are not working then more drastic measure may be required.

On two different occations the pills did not work for me and I was administered an enima. Both times started with a Fleet enima but ended in a good old soapy water enima. The longer it goes the harder it can become...literally. My doctor explained that the feces can become hard like rocks and difficult to pass.

I had explained my concern of constipation to Dr. Gross. He administered stool softner prior to surgery and I was primed and 'ready to go' the day after surgery.

Good luck and don't wait too long.

Don

tricky

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »
Followup....after trying virtually all the items suggested, I decided the pain of the constipation was worse than the surgery pain, so I stopped taking Percocet.  12 hours later, all was well.  It could be it was just time, but I feel it was the drug.  So I have proceeded on taking only Tylenol and all is well.  Thanks to every one for their inputs.  At a later date, I will write a summary of my surgery experience as an older (66) patient trying to get a resurfacing.

Lopsided

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
...after trying virtually all the items suggested...

Hope you did not try them all at once!

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

keith Allan

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 03:42:02 AM »
Hi there, First time poster, I'm 3mths down the road and constipation was a problem for me also, I used a raised chair that fits over the toilet it allowed me to find the best posture to encourage easy evacuation. Living in New Zealand provides easy access to Kiwifruit, its been a god send no more worries even on 160mg Oxycontin / day. The meds didn't work as effectively. Give it a try if you can get them Good Luck

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 08:57:59 AM »
With so many people becoming constipated when they are on pain meds it's a wonder hospitals don't just add stool softeners as soon as you take the pain meds.

I agree, fruit, fruit juices and increasing water intake can help.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

sarahb

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
I have stopped all pain relief now as my stomach was unbearable !! My boss is a Colorectal Surgeon and his advice is lots and lots of water and high fibre, which I try to maintain.   Movicol (dont know if you can get in states) is good to get you moving, but I think a glass of wine of an evening does the trick !! (not with the drugs obviously !) x

ptaylor

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 04:26:16 PM »
hi
the combination of 2 pain killers are according to my pharmacist brother a classic for constipation. he suggested taking a dose of lactulose each day to balance out the painkillers. i recommend you ask your pharmacist for the strongest non prescription laxative.
phil

Matt

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:54:47 PM »
Try peppermint tea as you favorite for a while.  Some fennel tea may help too. Good luck .

dw

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:43 AM »
senokot works pretty good!

ginnie

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »
My hospital did add stool softeners in the hospital and made sure I went before leaving the hospital.  Anyway ,, Activia or any yogurt with active live cultures will help,, the antibiotics they give tend to kill every bacteria in the body even the good stuff .. so you need to put it back.. also Honey nut cheerios do it for me.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear