+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: limp  (Read 2585 times)

sharleen

limp
« on: May 30, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »
 I am 5 weeks post op and all has gone very smoothly apart from the fact that I have the exact same limp that I had pre op. I was in the supermarket the other day and someone came up to me and said "You look as though you are in so much pain!" I found this very frustrating as I am in no pain at all and can't bear the thought that I still look the same! Unfortunately my insurance only covers me for PT half an hour once a week as an outpatient at the hospital. I am really not too sure how committed these physios are as the one I have seems really rather disinterested. I really feel that in the last 2 or so weeks I haven't made any progress whatsoever. I religiously do the exercises daily which only entail stationery bike for 8-10 minutes and 3 other not very demanding exercises. Is it possible that the limp will never go away? Is there anything else that maybe I should be doing? I had heard that swimming was good but was told it's too early for that. I had also been doing a fair amount of walking (with cane) but have been told to stop that because it will strengthen my limping muscles. I am SO frustrated as really want to get back into action and start losing the weight that I've gained during the past 5 weeks and also not to look like the cripple that I was before the surgery! Hopefully someone has some advice for me apart from to stop whining! :)

DonC

Re: limp
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
Hi Sharleen,

5 weeks is not very much time since your surgery. You will need more time to get the muscles back in shape. The cane helped me to develop a normal gait and I did not stop using the cane for at least 3 months post op. even though I could walk without it. I walked a lot and my main focus was taking a normal stride. I'm now 6 months and have very little limp. (can walk 18 holes of golf now without any pain) My suggestion would be to stay with the cane until you can walk normal without it. Keep walking and focus on taking a full stride.

Don't get discouraged as this is a major surgery. Takes a little more than 5 weeks. Don't worry you'll get there if you concentrate on walking correctly. Stay on the cane and walk normal to build the muscles.

Good luck.

Don

resurface

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:04:15 AM »
Hi Sharleen

I am 3 weeks post op moving onto week 4.  I use a cane and also have a slight limp.  My limp is actually my body releasing forward ever so slightly.  I have PT 2 - 3x a week pending my schedule.  What they are telling me is the following: (1) not all my muscles required to walk normally are recovered yet nor are they all firing, (2) the necessary muscles to walk properly are vastus lateralus (on your side), the glutes and a few others that attach into the pelvis and these have been affected by the surgery. They say this is all quite normal.

In addition to cycling (20 mins x2 daily), here is what I am doing daily as  instructed by my PT. This is then followed by ICE.  

(1) Place your injured side foot on a stair (as if you are about to walk up it) with the non-injured on the floor and push up and then back down.  Try to contract your thigh and glutes.  20x or less as you work to 20.
(2) Same exercise as above but place the foot length wise on the stair and push up.  You should feel this more on the lateral side. 20x
(3) Standing and with legs together, lift leg to the side.  Do this for both legs.  Switch off between them.  Notice how difficult this is when you need to raise your good leg and support it with the one resurfaced.  If you cannot do it 100%, use your hand to take some of the weight. Concentrate on contracting the front side of your pelvis and glutes. 20x
(4) Standing with legs together, raise leg up in front of you (with it bent at the knee).  Again, switch. Concentrate on contracting pelvis and glutes. This will also help with range of motion.  20x.
(5) Stretch - hands against the wall with one leg forward and the other back.  This works calf, hamstrings, and front of pelvis. Concentrate on top front of pelvis.  Be cautious.  Listen to your body.

A few final notes: start with less than 20 reps and work your way up.  You will progress quickly.  There are days when I am sore, and I then do fewer or just stop.  I am doing the above 2x daily.  I also ice when I have a free moment.  

There seems to be no concesus on rehab. I am not a doctor.  However, I see no reason why the above will not help you.  That said, if one of these movements contradicts something that your doctor has said, DON'T DO IT THEN.  Sorry, I had to state the obvious.  

My discharge instructions and expectations indicate that I should be able to "ambulate without assistance aids" at 6 weeks. Some will be shorter or longer... but it sounds like you are progressing.  I think that it is the mentality of those being resurfaced - a bunch of Type A's ready to get back at life.   

Good luck... resurface

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:15:13 AM by resurface »

Tekka

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »
Hi Sharleen,

Do not worry...I limped for the first 7-8 weeks and then I improved at a fast rate.

Walking is a great safe way to improve, take your time, you will get there.

Best Terry
LBHR 23/01/2009 Mr Mcminn

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
Relax, you are only 5 weeks out, you are still healing inside, your hip had some major work done to it.

I would suggest pool work, look down as you walk, make sure you are not limping as you watch yourself, much of the limping you are doing is based on habit.  Many doctors DO NOT REQUIRE PT and they turn out great.

I seriously doubt you will continue to limp.

Chuck

I am 5 weeks post op and all has gone very smoothly apart from the fact that I have the exact same limp that I had pre op. I was in the supermarket the other day and someone came up to me and said "You look as though you are in so much pain!" I found this very frustrating as I am in no pain at all and can't bear the thought that I still look the same! Unfortunately my insurance only covers me for PT half an hour once a week as an outpatient at the hospital. I am really not too sure how committed these physios are as the one I have seems really rather disinterested. I really feel that in the last 2 or so weeks I haven't made any progress whatsoever. I religiously do the exercises daily which only entail stationery bike for 8-10 minutes and 3 other not very demanding exercises. Is it possible that the limp will never go away? Is there anything else that maybe I should be doing? I had heard that swimming was good but was told it's too early for that. I had also been doing a fair amount of walking (with cane) but have been told to stop that because it will strengthen my limping muscles. I am SO frustrated as really want to get back into action and start losing the weight that I've gained during the past 5 weeks and also not to look like the cripple that I was before the surgery! Hopefully someone has some advice for me apart from to stop whining! :)
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Jed

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »
One thing I would suggest is to walk with trekking poles. They don't really take any weight but they do keep you upright and improve your gait.

sharleen

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »
Thank you so much everyone!  Looks as though I am going to be VERY busy!!!!! I really appreciate everyone writing. Sorry not to have replied soon but thought I got an email when there was a response, just not too computer savvy!
Best
S

jack

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »
There is a place here -
Profile / Notifications and Email

Then check the box @  "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic"

This should then make it so you get an email when a response happens.

Also at the top and bottom of every topic is a button labeled "notify" if you want to pick and choose which ones you want notifications from.

Cheers!
Right BHR by Dr. Clarke  5-19-10

My BHR Story

sharleen

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »
Many thanks to you Jack and cheers I am raising my glass of very delicious Sauvignon Blanc to you for your help!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear